Queen Ants

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen Ants

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:02 am

Camponotus do not have stings, but use formic acid. Please don't sell ants that you haven't even identified to the species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Jake123

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:05 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Camponotus do not have stings, but use formic acid.
that's funny, I see Camponotus ants swing there gaster underneath theirselves & stab it into their prey. Looks the same as a Bull Ant stinging prey so I assumed they sting. Formic Acid Sprayers usually spray when they are turned around or if they are doing the stretch technique

Jake123

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:07 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Camponotus do not have stings, but use formic acid. Please don't sell ants that you haven't even identified to the species.
and that's why I am asking if anyone knows. And I don't NEEDS to know the species I can just type Camponotus SP if I really want

Batspiderfish

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:16 am

Formic acid is dabbed on prey in a motion that looks similar to stinging.

It is irresponsible to sell an ant if you don't know what it is.

Is it endangered? Who knows?
Is it native? Who knows?
What are its nesting/founding habits? Who knows?
Can I identify to a genus if I can't identify to a species? Who knows?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.