Queens, queens everywhere!!!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Aussie

Queens, queens everywhere!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Due to recent storms which unfortunately took the life of a young man the ants in my local area have been going crazy!

The storm was as of today 2 days ago. The morning after the storm thousands on ants took flight and began the mating process, I found this really interesting to watch as many birds and other animals took advantage of the easy meals. I also took advantage of the nuptial flights and caught one queen trapped in a clump of males during the main frenzy in the morning and two other queens when I got back from school later in the afternoon when I saw about 20 other queens that I did not catch.

Queen 1 is the queen I caught in a clump of males. The males have since died and been removed and the queen has removed her wings.

Queen 2 is one of the queens I caught after school on my driveway. I believe 2 and 3 may be the same species.

Queen 3 is the other queen I caught after school and she will be a test queen as in her test tube setup I have incorporated gravel and dirt.

CreeperUniverse

Re: Queens, queens everywhere!!!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Nice job! I hope your colonies go well! :)
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

Aussie

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Thank you!

After all 3 queens pupated their first workers I decided to keep only 1 queen, it was a hard choice but I chose to keep the first queen as she and her workers seem to have more personality and are smaller which should mean they are easier to contain. The other 2 queens were realeased and are actually still going great in the wild as I can see both colonies have built tiny mounds and are still active!

Martialis

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:14 am

Aussie wrote:Thank you!

After all 3 queens pupated their first workers I decided to keep only 1 queen, it was a hard choice but I chose to keep the first queen as she and her workers seem to have more personality and are smaller which should mean they are easier to contain. The other 2 queens were realeased and are actually still going great in the wild as I can see both colonies have built tiny mounds and are still active!
Nice! Believe it or not, smaller ants can be harder to contain. ;)
Keeper of

Selliing:

natbohman

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm new to the site but I am really getting into these ants. I want to start my own colony but where can I get a queen ant (in Maryland)? Also, some of the information is far too techy for me. Any suggested reading for us low level learners (less scientific names/words)?