Building Formicarium

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Firestar987654321

Building Formicarium

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:47 am

I would like to know any good ideas on how to create your own formicarium as I really can't find a suitable method :?: :(

chickenman297

Re: Building Formicarium

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:02 am

What tools do you have at your disposal? Arguably the easiest and cheapest method is to use grout.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

This method should also be able to be used with plaster and gypsum.

thegardenant

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:31 pm

You could get a container and use clay

xTNxANTMANx

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:41 pm

I personally used grout to make my first formicarium and it turned out beautifully. Grout is also very easily kept moist but it also absorbs the water very quickly so you have to keep an eye on it regularly. Grout is very cheap and very easy to use. The videos posted above is actually where I got the idea of using clay to make my rooms and tunnels with the grout poured on top of it. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post one of my formicarium.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AntsRule

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Mythos wrote:I'm interested in making a similar grout setup but I have a few questions.

1) how does hydration work? Do you keep the watering Chamber disconnected from the rest of the tunnels so ants can't drown?

2) what kind of square box or frame do you use to keep the grout in? I'm not really crafty enough to make my own.
I have built one of these. You keep the water chamber disconnected but make sure to seal all around the water chamber with the glue or the water will leak into the tunnels. I use a cookie tray with a piece of cardboard blocking an end so i can remove the cardboard and grab the side of the formicarium when it is dry. Does that make sense? :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

AntsRule

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:35 pm

I kind of use the cardboard the bring the wall a bit closer to the center of the tray. When sealing the glass on make sure the whole area around the water tunnel is glued to the glass.(Just in case i was unclear) :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.