Camponotus eggs

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

skyfreeman

Camponotus eggs

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Hey there,

I caught a Camponotus queen in the end of September and have had her and the initial eggs in a test tube configuration since. I live in British Columbia, Canada and so I know due to the weather and the timing everything may be slowed due to naturally hibernating at this time but I have noticed that the eggs haven't grown( or if they have, very little) in the 6 weeks they have been there. I am wondering if perhaps it is because she is unfertilized or if someone has had an experience similar to this and they just take even longer than I expected.

Any insight and help is appreciated, thanks :)

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus eggs

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Hibernation.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Serafine

Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:50 am

Eggs/pupae can hibernate, too.

martinnate

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes and remeber that Camponotus are colustrial (not sure if I spelled that right) so some of the eggs will not be fertile b/c the queen will eat them if needed and like serafine said eggs and Larvea and pupea hibernate too. I know how anxious you r to have new arrivals but you have to be patient they will come. I caight mine this March and it took a good 2 months from egg to worker. I put her above the water heater and forgot about her, so to speak, I tried my hardest to look at them only once a week, and now their at about 30 and still growing. Havent hibernated yet. Tomorrow is our 1st freeze worning. Goog luck, "Ant Love Forever"

skyfreeman

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks for the replies :D . I knew the eggs and such hibernated from my degree just wanted to check with others to confirm this as normal as I haven't kept Camponotus before and wasn't quite sure of the combined effect of hibernation and their relative slow rate of growth.

martinnate

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm

They are just slow. I'm told nothing fast happens until after 1st hibernation. I think mine are getting ready to hibernate.