Ant War

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Cormac

Ant War

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 pm

I was taking a walk and looking for queens when i came upon a massive ant war. I am relatively new to anting so I could not identify the ants involved. It looked interesting so i thought i would share it. I captured a few queens that were caught up in the battle but i don't think they were mated, I guess i will find out. Here is the video.

https://youtu.be/-RiMgPdbUx0

Rovvov99

Re: Ant War

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:02 pm

The red coloured ants are Formica Sanguinea, better known as the "slavemaker ant". The black ants are probably Formica fusca. What you witnessed is called a broodraid , Formica Sanguinea does this in the summer months only. They will invade a nest of another, weaker species (often Formica fusca), kill all the workers and steal their brood to bring it back to their own colony and raise the brood there as slaves. It is an really interesting specie, I had them once but unfortunately they escaped. Maybe you can catch some queens when they have their nuptial flight.

Ants4fun

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:04 pm

I agree, lucky you!

Cormac

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 am

That is very interesting! Formica Sanguinea must be very common in my area. I found another nest yesterday, I followed a trail of them carrying brood. At the nest it looked like multiple species of ant workers.

AntsDakota

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Rovvov99 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:02 pm
The red coloured ants are Formica Sanguinea, better known as the "slavemaker ant". The black ants are probably Formica fusca. What you witnessed is called a broodraid , Formica Sanguinea does this in the summer months only. They will invade a nest of another, weaker species (often Formica fusca), kill all the workers and steal their brood to bring it back to their own colony and raise the brood there as slaves. It is an really interesting specie, I had them once but unfortunately they escaped. Maybe you can catch some queens when they have their nuptial flight.
Polyergus is a slave maker ant too. It usually raids the nests of Formica argentea and Formica fusca. Fire ants also perform this brood-napping behavior, except on their own species.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25