Can't find a queen in Neveda.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Antcrisp

Can't find a queen in Neveda.

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Hello,im new to the forums and i got interesting in ants
Recently i found out about the flight seasons and i have missed the ones in my area i think. Everyday i have been walking around my neighborhood looking for ant queen,i just can't find any,i really don't want to wait intill next year. Btw i live in Las vegas.

Batspiderfish

Re: Can't find a queen in Neveda.

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Anytime after it rains is going to be good to start looking.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Antcrisp

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Anytime after it rains is going to be good to start looking.
Should i go to a park? Is it too late now or i still have a chance?

Batspiderfish

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Ants are still flying in Maine, so they're probably still flying in Nevada. In dryer regions, it is very much reliant on rainfall, I believe.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AceCadet

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:36 am

I live in Nevada and yes I believe we still have a chance to find queens. With how dry we are look at grassy parks. And it should be raining Thursday(atleast here in Northern Nevada). Its late season but not impossible. Just keep your eyes open. Happy Ant Keeping!

Antcrisp

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:21 am

AceCadet wrote:I live in Nevada and yes I believe we still have a chance to find queens. With how dry we are look at grassy parks. And it should be raining Thursday(atleast here in Northern Nevada). Its late season but not impossible. Just keep your eyes open. Happy Ant Keeping!
Thank you! I'll be going to park today or tomorrow hopefully i have better chance getting one.

Zombiie

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Also keep away ANY ant that looks fluffy fluffy.
Its mostly likely a velvet ant (aka wasp mimicking a ant,they have wings so they will look like queens),we have a LOT of them in Nevada.
✧✦✧✦Nevada Ant Keeper✧✦✧✦
✦Currently owned✦

AceCadet

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:00 pm

For sure dont give up hope though. Today I found one carpenter and bunch of lasius queens, only caught 3. You'll find a queen sooner or later.