Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Desperado

Re: Utah Ant Keepers, Help Requested!

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:07 am

Of course!

Desperado

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:42 am

I have 5 queens that have laid eggs. Four of them with about 5-10 eggs. The prospects look good. Let me know if your still interested and I'll private message you!

USGSPk

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Ok- so.

Since my last post, I've seen hundreds of tetramorium queens and one of a species I cannot identify.

I've housed 25 egg-laying tetramorium queens for the time being. My goal is to design formicariums and place them in schools or libraries for educational purposes. The remainder, I will list on the GAN so others can get into the hobby.

Basically, I went a little crazy, but I have a plan to place them all in good homes.

I'm now looking for camponotus, which I hear can already be found in the hills east of Ogden, in the bark of dead trees. I'll be out over the holiday weekend searching.

After that, I'll be looking for pogonomyrmex queens. I've got my eye on half a baker's dozen nests in my area.

The big problems I am trying to solve now are:

1. Test tube storage for claustral species- find an economical, durable and portable way to store test tubes with queens and small colonies inside.

2. Test tube storage for semi-claustral species- find an economical, durable and portable way to store test tubes with semi-claustral queens and small colonies inside.

3. Formicarium design- find an economical formicarium design that is portable, durable and easily duplicated by others.

I plan to use public library 3D printers and Google Sketchup software to turn these ideas into a reality.
Last edited by USGSPk on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desperado

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 am

Awesome! You've really done a lot of work! Keep me posted on status of your plans, I'd really like to know!

ErikAase

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Is anyone in Utah finding queens right now? I've seen some late Tetramorium but few to none other species. I believe Pogonomyrmex will be flying soon.

USGSPk

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Tetramorium seem to be all done for the time being.

I am watching about a half baker's dozen of pogonomyrmex nests right now. Not signs of flying yet.

I will make a post here the day I see them flying. I'm tracking nests in the north east West Haven and north Hill AFB areas.

ErikAase

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Found Pogonomyrmex queens last evening west of Utah Lake!

USGSPk

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Found pogo queens flying on Hill AFB (Ogden/Riverdale/Roy area)

Last night's rain did the trick!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Pogo queens flying in Bluffdale as well. Collected 9 today.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

USGSPk

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm stuck at work. I can see the queens flying, but I can't find any on the ground- drat!!