Utah Ant Keepers, Help Requested!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

USGSPk

Utah Ant Keepers, Help Requested!

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:15 am

I'm interested in finding queens here around Ogden, Utah, but it looks like I may have missed the season. Are there any species which will be attainable In September-October? If so, where would I find them?

Unfortunately, I will be unable to hunt for ant species next year, so I was hoping to start my colony this year if possible.

I DO see that there are colonies available through the GAN, however I'd like to learn to find queens on my own if possible.

Batspiderfish

Re: Utah Ant Keepers, Help Requested!

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:19 am

Solenopsis molesta has been found during September, in Utah. You might also find some Lasius. Check outside on warm, windless afternoons (after rainfall is preferable, but some ants might try to fly, regardless, if the humidity gets over 40%).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

USGSPk

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:27 am

Hooray- thank you!

I would love to look for both of those species, however I haven't yet found any of their nests near my home. So far it's all been tetramorium and pogonomyrmex. I'm really fond of the pogonomyrmex, but they don't seem like a good beginner species since they sting, grow quickly, want large foraging spaces, and move so fast.

Lasius really seems ideal.

Does anyone out there know of any colonies in vicinity of Ogden?

Side question- has there been any discussion about building a gel-database of wild ant colonies so we can track the growth/decline of native species and spread and possible origin of invasive species?

It might even be useful as a kind of ant epidemiological data.

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:33 am

I, as well as a few other people, am making a database to track mating flights by location, but tracking actual colonies takes a lot of diligence and organization.

You could also possibly find some Pogonomyrmex. There haven't been all that many forum users from Utah.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

USGSPk

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Will pogos fly this late?

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:57 pm

People were finding alates in late August. They do occasionally have Autumn flights.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 am

Glad to have another ant keeper from Utah! I have found Lasius in the Utah mountains this late, but you have to lift rocks to find them as they have already flown. The ones I have found do not dig deep claustral chambers under the rocks, so they can easily be collected. A pair of featherweight tweezers are very useful in getting them.

The thing about Lasius, however, is that they tend to overwinter after nuptial flight, then they begin egg laying in the Spring. So even if you find some queens, you'll still be waiting until Spring before they begin a colony. Better than nothing though. You'll have a great start for next year should you find some.

PS. I grew up in the Ogden area. Graduated from Ben Lomond HS and Weber State Univ. :) Living in Salt Lake valley now, but all my family and my wife's family is still up there.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

USGSPk

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks for the response!

In that case, I might try to find some lasius queens along the road up to Huntsville. I don't mind overwintering them. The only problem is that I'll be in the Middle East for spring/summer next year, so I'll likely miss ant season again in 2017! Though I could try to find some ants there and raise a colony...

Glad to hear you have such a strong familiarity with the area. I wish I was staying here long enough to get to know the scene as well as you do. The opportunities for outdoor activities are almost endless!

USGSPk

Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am

Looking for any information on the ant scene in the Ogden area. I'm willing to travel, but would prefer to find colonies/nuptial flights between Logan and Salt Lake.

Originally, I was going to be out of the country this spring/summer. However, thanks to a change of plans, I'm lucky enough to be home with my family and share our first ant season together!

There seem to be abundant pogonomyrmex in the sand and tetramorium near the sidewalks here.

Any ideas what might be coming up as the season progresses? We just came off a late frost a few days ago.

Desperado

Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Hey USGSPk, I'm in Logan, UT. I'm a beginner ant keeper this season. I've been keeping a lookout for months. Here we've had snowfall as of 2 weeks ago which I'm sure has jumbled nuptial flight for most species. Today I found a my first queen (tetramorium)! However, she's missing a middle leg and I'm not sure if she will survive. It shocked me to finally find one and I fear I may have missed most flights. I'll keep a lookout and let you know if I find more.