OMG i got a trapjaw ant ive been wanting

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Solenopsisace

OMG i got a trapjaw ant ive been wanting

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:22 pm

I've heard a couple years ago of trap jaw ants coming into the Northern parts of Florida. Now I have finally found one here in Tampa (Central Florida). I think I read the first report in late 2013 of them being introduced into Florida. So it took them about three years to move from North Florida to Central Florida. I love to see how fast ants grow and how much they can distribute to new locations. That's why I pretty much fell in love with solenopsis Invicta. They are just another species trying to make a new home. They do not mean to be invasive but they just seem to be more dominant. Can't blame them for growing. Believe it or not that's how America was found. Just an invasive country coming over and dominating the native species. It's amazing how we are so much like ants that's why they have been here for millions of years.Image

Solenopsisace

Re: OMG i got a trapjaw ant ive been wanting

Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:22 pm

Durant wrote:OMG SOOOOO JEALOUS!!!! WISH I HAD ONE!!!
Ya dude...u can hear a snapping sound when she opens and then releases her mandibles. Here is her new founding chamber/ formicarium I just made.

Solenopsisace

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:51 am

Durant wrote:Amazing!!! :P
Thanx.im doing homework on it now.there is 4 kinds ive narrowed it down to.Odontomachus brunneus,O.haematodus,O.ruginodis,and O.relictus...im trying to find my macro lens now.its kinda hard to depict which one it is with a Cheesy Dollar Store magnifying glass LOL.

Jharrell23867

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Congratz dude!!!!

I hope she lays eggs, they look wickedly awesome...

Aaron567

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Wow, so cool! There are a couple colonies of Odontomachus haematodus around my house. I have never seen a queen, but I will catch one if I do see it. The queens can look very similar to the workers without wings so I've been looking closely. When I see a foraging worker I always get a small twig or piece of pine straw and touch the ant's mandibles and then I can hear it snap on the twig lol.

Ants4fun

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am

What about O. Clarus. One of the only species that is native to the U.S.

Solenopsisace

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 am

Ants4fun wrote:What about O. Clarus. One of the only species that is native to the U.S.
I don't think so it looks like that species mainly lives west of me and the queen I have is almost black she hardly has any color

Antman1

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:46 pm

How is she doing now?