Need help please guys

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MatLaf

Need help please guys

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:29 am

Hey guys , last years I manage to capture 3 queens , two of them dies sadly ... but the last one was going super well , she got up to 6 workers it was beautiful and i was super happy.

Then the winter arrive so i kept them in a cold place but not to cold and now that summer is coming back i was happy to see that the queen survive and i change her test tube cause the cotton was getting black and now she only have 1 workers left !! I check many time if they escape but it would be impossible cause the test tube is a containers with a barrier near the top.

Should a feed them more ? Or not ? I uselly fed them a drop of honey like once a week and i try to give them a piece of apple once but they didn’t seen interested

So help me out guys ! It a camponotus colony btw

And last week i capture another camponotus queen and she already have a bunch of egg ( feeling happy )

Wardword

Re: Need help please guys

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 am

MatLaf wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:29 am
Hey guys , last years I manage to capture 3 queens , two of them dies sadly ... but the last one was going super well , she got up to 6 workers it was beautiful and i was super happy.

Then the winter arrive so i kept them in a cold place but not to cold and now that summer is coming back i was happy to see that the queen survive and i change her test tube cause the cotton was getting black and now she only have 1 workers left !! I check many time if they escape but it would be impossible cause the test tube is a containers with a barrier near the top.

Should a feed them more ? Or not ? I uselly fed them a drop of honey like once a week and i try to give them a piece of apple once but they didn’t seen interested

So help me out guys ! It a camponotus colony btw

And last week i capture another camponotus queen and she already have a bunch of egg ( feeling happy )
Some queens just do not do well, all 3 of my Campanotus queens have eggs and larva right now.
2 of them only have 5 to 15 eggs max, while one of them has close to 30+ and is on her 2nd batch, she is waaay ahead of the others, and they were caught at nearly the same time too !.

MatLaf

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:57 am

Yeah i notice the same between the 3 queen from last years , but im affraid that my last queen from last years will dies too, i means why all her workers start to dies ?

And while we are here how long a worker ants live normally ? Does anybody know that ?

AntsRule

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:31 pm

They might have escaped, what was your barrier? As said above camp. Are very finicky. Give them peace and hope for the best. Have you feed them,
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MatLaf

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:15 pm

My barrier is on the vertical side of a big plastic containers i try it with some other random ant before putting my test tube in and it work perfectly.

And I been feeding them a drop a honey about every week or so and clean the old honey at the same time.

It is normal that the nanitic die only after one years ?

antnest8

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:05 am

what was the material you used as a barrier. Vaseline, baby powder, flu-on, etc.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MatLaf

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:16 am

Baby powder mic woth rubbing alcool and the up side down part of the containter ( it look like a vase with a small hole on top ) so no escape ants i just did a test with a ant from outside and she can’t get out she slip everytime