any GAN farmers near Ocala Florida??

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

bhali333

any GAN farmers near Ocala Florida??

Sat May 07, 2016 9:42 am

Hi,

New to the forum and just beginning ant keeping. No luck finding queens where I live so far I was thinking I may have to get one from a gan farmer if my luck does not get better. I am located in central florida close to Ocala and was wondering if there were any gan farmers in my region.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: any GAN farmers near Ocala Florida??

Sat May 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Looks like there are 3 GAN Farmers in Florida.

FLORIDA, USA:

Brooksville, FL (1 GAN Farmer)
Available species: Solenopsis sp, Tapinoma melanocephalum

Spring Hill, FL (1 GAN Farmer)
Available species: Solenopsis sp

Tallahassee, FL (1 GAN Farmer)
Available species: Pheidole obscurathorax

You can see the full listing here: http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Solenopsisace

Sun May 08, 2016 5:31 am

I live in tampa if u wanna swing by i got 10 queens,3 diffrent species,and three with wings still on them so i would just say i have seven for right now lol

idahoantgirl

Sun May 08, 2016 10:38 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:I live in tampa if u wanna swing by i got 10 queens,3 diffrent species,and three with wings still on them so i would just say i have seven for right now lol
AntsCanada does not support the trading of queens on the forum, only through the gan project
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Solenopsisace

Mon May 09, 2016 2:30 am

I wasnt gunna trade. i was gunna give him one for free.im all about ant love and helping people get into the hobby.im not here to sell ants or make money

bhali333

Thu May 12, 2016 12:44 pm

sorry! am brand new to the forum this was my first post. did not know the no selling/trading rule.

Will not happen again!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu May 12, 2016 7:18 pm

bhali333 wrote:sorry! am brand new to the forum this was my first post. did not know the no selling/trading rule.

Will not happen again!
No problem at all. The rules link is above each posting area.

Thanks,
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

reanimatedself

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 am

Another ant enthusiast in my area!

I am sorry you haven’t had any luck catching queens so far where you are at. I have had an abundance of luck catching queens in the past few months.

A couple of tips for our area (because we both know our weather is anything but normal).

-since it rains almost every day in the summer and is so humid, our queens like to fly almost every day! But especially when it rains after a day or two of clear skies. It doesn’t seem to matter if it is overcast or not. But the wetter it is without actual rain, the more they like it.

-If you want a good indication of when Alates are being sent out, look at the ant mounds in your area. If the openings are wider than usual it is because the colony is making room for the Alates to get out. Check in the morning and if you see the wider openings there is a good chance you can catch a queen that afternoon!

-Hunt between 10-4. I know this is pretty broad but it’s true. If you go in the morning before it gets hot you will either find Alates that have not yet mated or nothing at all.

-pick the right path. Paved sidewalks are awesome. So are driveways. And if there are sprinklers near by, all the better. Just make sure it is a safe area and you aren’t trespassing. I have found several queens on dirt paths but in general it is so hot that you just want to go for a quick walk. Stick to something like a sidewalk or park where you can easily walk fast and see fairly clearly. If you don’t see some on one pass, wait a few hours and do it again. You will eventually see a queen.

I hope this helps! I am a teacher so I like to give lots of information. I have gotten several of my students interested in ant keeping as a hobby and I am always up for helping out a fellow ant enthusiast. Let me know if you still can’t find a queen and always remember there is the GAN project. Happy hunting!