GAN farmers in texas

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

AlchemicalBacon

GAN farmers in texas

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 pm

I am moving to dallas around the beginning of February and am looking forward to starting my first ant colony by hunting or purchase and was wondering what kinds of ants the gan farmers normally catch when they start to fly. Ive done some research on what ants are in texas around dallas (tons) but my question is more about what kinds they regularly catch. My hope izs to eventually work up to atta texana or cephalotes texanus... But those arent really recommended for newbies i hear.

KingKyle26

Re: GAN farmers in texas

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:27 am

From what I've heard Solenopsis invicta are the most common queen found but as you were saying, probably not a good starting queen.

AlchemicalBacon

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah... I'm pretty nubbish

Martialis

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm

AlchemicalBacon wrote:Yeah... I'm pretty nubbish
They can have their size managed with artificial methods, such as limited food or water.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AlchemicalBacon

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:29 pm

True, but i dont feel masochistic enough to grow and keep fire ants on my first go (no offense meant to fire ant keepers). Was just hoping to get a list of potential ants to look out for and research from the gan folks here in texas.

KingKyle26

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:05 pm

http://antmaps.org/? provides a detailed list of all known ant species found in an area. Click on Texas to find all of the species that can be found there

AlchemicalBacon

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Yes indeed, i have gone over the map. I was just curious as to the common ants caught be the gan farmers in their locations so i could do a bit of research arch ahead of time. I think ill just wait until nuptial flights occur to see what they put up and then do some research.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Dallas is a tad far north for Atta, but the closely related Trachymyrmex can be found in June and July.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AlchemicalBacon

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:15 am

Yeah, cephelotes texanus doesnt go that for north either, bur both are end goal types of ants for me, after i get a bit more experience (years later). Its texas, "just down the road" could mean a block to an hours drive and i wouldnt mind picking them up if i havent moved down that way already. Ill just do a bit more research on my own, try to catch a few queens when they fly, and do research when the gan farmers out up what they have instead of trying to take shortcuts lol

AlchemicalBacon

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:19 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Dallas is a tad far north for Atta, but the closely related Trachymyrmex can be found in June and July.

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis found and am researching. Tyty