Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Anyone from Arizona that would be interested in springtime. I plan to have queens to sell by Early March at the soonest I hope, but some depending on the species might want to give them a few months to whip up some niantics. So anyone in Arizona, I'm in the phoenix area and willing to travel lets say to the Tucson area. But not too far North because my ants would be from a completely different biome. :) Lemme know Arizonians.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

MichaelJones

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:49 am

I saw your post and noticed that we both live in the capital of Arizona! I would be highly interested in buying a queen from you, for I'm a beginner in Ant farming. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, I will be sure to keep an eye for your next reply :)

Batspiderfish

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:01 pm

FYI, a queen's small first workers are called "nanitics".

Niantic is the company which created Pokemon Go. :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

mugushie

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Hey barf dog I'm from az to looking to get into the holy this season any advice for az I got ton of questions like when is Arizona nuptual flight season at its peek and how long does it last?

MichaelJones

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Hey Mugushie! Glad to see another Arizona resident :D Are you also starting your first ant farm? If so, I am as well, maybe we can exchange notes as we grow our own farms.

mugushie

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:04 am

Yea it's going to be my first real farm I will post a msg on hear if I start to see any flights go in on around me and I'm hoping the season starts soon

MichaelJones

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:33 am

Thats awesome! Let me know if you find out when, I'm still trying to figure it out as well.

SpeciesK

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:58 am

Batspiderfish wrote:FYI, a queen's small first workers are called "nanitics".

Niantic is the company which created Pokemon Go. :D
THAT is what keeps trying to push into my thoughts! I knew I had seen a word like nanitics somewhere! Ah hahahahahaha! :P

Barfdog

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Where did all you Arizonians come from?! I nearly forgot about this post because I didn't get any replies. Glad you all came out of the woodwork. BatSpiderFish... Nanitic? is that spelled correctly? The queens might as well lay Pokemon Balls.. would be pretty cool. Alright emergency meeting Arizona fam only. We should plan some kind of meetup between all of you come flight season and exchange information, swap notes, teach newbies etc. Let me know what you guys think! glad to have you!
Keeper of:

Barfdog

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 pm

mugushie wrote:Yea it's going to be my first real farm I will post a msg on hear if I start to see any flights go in on around me and I'm hoping the season starts soon
Oh and I'm planning on finding queens early to mid March hopefully. Arizona is extremely vast in species of ants so I'm thinking right after it heat up a little and we get some good rain. Be sure to check back here around March time. Especially if for instance it's storming that day then the next day we could plan to meetup somewhere.

I've been told from a fellow Arizona Antkeeper who has had a lot of luck finding camponotus queens that they generally tend to fly in the early morning the night after a nice storm. But the mating chart on formiculture shows they mostly fly closer to April. We need to meet up AZ fam and share information. Someone should also join the GAN project as well this year in AZ.
Keeper of: