Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:37 am

AntLove4Ever wrote:Yippee! I have been looking for an Arizona GAN farmer for ages! I also live in the Phoenix area and would be interested in purchasing ants from you.

Would you mind sending me an email when you have ants available? If you email me I can give you my phone number but I'd rather not post my number here.

My email is: lucash10@icloud.com

Glad to see the threads exploding with people that live in AZ. So I'll be going through the GAN project but if let's say for some reason it take awhile to set up we can just go through email. So I'll absolutely let you guys know if I have anything. If you are in Arizona, I encourage you to join the Gan project, give a colony to a close friend, educate your parents and get siblings involved in the queen ant hunt.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Barfdog

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 am

Mowteam wrote:Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if ants hibernate in the winter in Arizona. Also for a tetramorium species should I get an Omni nest or hybrid nest. Which nest is best for the ants. Also how often should I clean their graveyard and waste zone in the out world and nest.
I think some species of ants in Arizona actually don't hibernate or have 'active hours' from blank time to blank time. I've seen constant ant activity throughout the winter season, slim chances of finding queens though.

I went ahead and bought just the Hybrid tetramorium formicarium, not the all you need gear pack. If you can get the all you need pack in the species you want to keep then do it, you get the cool rounded outworld with a good lid and some tubing and other stuff. I personally like the Hybrid nests more but I will eventually get some Omni nests.

I say try to clean up after them as much as possible. Leave food waste in outworld for like 3-4 days max. It can't decompose well unless using some natural soil and digging medium for them to bury their garbage. Cleaning up after them means less bacteria, you could even attract mites from food waste and other nasty colony ending parasites.
Keeper of:

MichaelJones

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:14 pm

He meant actual face to face meetup, though if I'm not occupied by school I'm usually working. Though I'm always on the lookout for queen ants.

MichaelJones

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm

AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:27 pm
MichaelJones wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Hey Mugushie! Glad to see another Arizona resident :D Are you also starting your first ant farm? If so, I am as well, maybe we can exchange notes as we grow our own farms.
Me three! I too would be happy to exchange my successes and failures of my first colony. I also am just getting started in this wonderful hobby.
Oh and that would be nice, we could learn together and become better at ant keeping.

mugushie

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm

MichaelJones wrote:
AntLove4Ever wrote:
MichaelJones wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Hey Mugushie! Glad to see another Arizona resident :D Are you also starting your first ant farm? If so, I am as well, maybe we can exchange notes as we grow our own farms.
Me three! I too would be happy to exchange my successes and failures of my first colony. I also am just getting started in this wonderful hobby.
Oh and that would be nice, we could learn together and become better at ant keeping.
I think due to elevation and temp difference from globe to pheonix I will be 1-2 weeks behind you guys as I am typing this there is a 16 degree temp difference from me to you guys today should have been a good day for queens due to a little rain we got over hear yesterday but nothing really and even at the hot part of the day ants were still sluggish and scarce just wanted to post observation for you guys

Barfdog

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 pm

mugushie wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm
MichaelJones wrote:
AntLove4Ever wrote:

I think due to elevation and temp difference from globe to pheonix I will be 1-2 weeks behind you guys as I am typing this there is a 16 degree temp difference from me to you guys today should have been a good day for queens due to a little rain we got over hear yesterday but nothing really and even at the hot part of the day ants were still sluggish and scarce just wanted to post observation for you guys
I've really been finding the same kind of activity hear. I was hoping for maybe finding some early tetramorium from the recent rain or maybe Solenopsis queens and been going on daily walks but no luck yet.
very sluggish indeed, however all tetramorium colonys I saw where widening nest entrances.
Keeper of:

Mowteam

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Have people been finding queens? We need a gan farmer for Arizona

Mowteam

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:14 am

If anyone finds some tetramorium queens please private message me.

Cahoskins

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am

For the past 3 years my son and I have captured harvester ants along the canal. There are tons of them and we suck them up with our bug vacuums and put them in his big outdoor ant farm I made for him. There are lots of established colonies at the canal but we have never seen a queen. He wants a queen soooooo bad. Has anyone else had any luck near the canal?

Martialis

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm

On another forum, there's a database of ant nuptial flights. I can provide you with a link to that post. Look at the genera Pogonomyrmex, Veromessor, and Novomessor.

Most Pogonomyrmex are semi claustral.

Link:

http://www.formiculture.com/index.php/topic/181-ant-mating-chart
Keeper of

Selliing: