Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Martialis wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm
On another forum, there's a database of ant nuptial flights. I can provide you with a link to that post. Look at the genera Pogonomyrmex, Veromessor, and Novomessor.

Most Pogonomyrmex are semi claustral.

Link:

http://www.formiculture.com/index.php/topic/181-ant-mating-chart
Formiculture.com is a great forum as well as this one. Just like Martialis, I am a member of both. You are bound to get answers on one or the other. Formiculture even has a chat room! Personally, I think all would benefit to become a member of both.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

countmandibles

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:38 am

It has been raining like crazy in Phoenix. We got 2 inches of rain in an hour a few days ago. So, my question is, should I be looking for queens the day after a rainstorm? Is this a good time to find queens? And, if someone in Arizona wants to be a GAN farmer I will be your first customer.

AntsArizona

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello Everyone! Just wanted to say hi since I'm here in Gilbert, AZ. I started collecting mid last month in July and have collected 20-25 potential queens all in test tube setups. Some of which I have peeked at and saw some eggs. Haven't had a chance to get good pictures yet to ID but I'm guessing its one of these 3 (Tetra, Sole or Lasius). Small in size. Will try and get some pictures in a couple weeks. I will most likely not keep ALL of them so maybe I'll be a possible AZ GAN Farmer.

Any good places you guys have been checking around for queens? I really really want to capture a Pogonomerex as I have come across several nest, but never see any alates.

Anyways. Sup!

IG: AntsArizona

NineTaile

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm

I live in Arizona and am wondering if anyone here has an extra ant queen they can give me maybe? I've been looking for awhile and have had no luck.

sidewinderscott

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 pm

I just lost my one queen i found this year. I am still hoping to get more but season does not look good. I love that a person will finally be a gan farmer in az. I would kill for any of the honeypot ants around here. My queen was a mexicanious and quite literally walked in my front door found her walking across my entryway floor when i caught her.

Tacosss

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Hello I live in AZ anyone have queem Ants for sale?

Atlantica

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:39 am

Hello fellow ant friends! I'm located in Tucson Arizona. I was wondering if there be anyone with a queen they could sell? Any tips for finding one in the wild? I'm new to hunting queens. Most of of the nests here locally are too well developed to even bother thinking of scoring a queen.

Atlantica

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 am

Barfdog wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm
Anyone from Arizona that would be interested in springtime. I plan to have queens to sell by Early March at the soonest I hope, but some depending on the species might want to give them a few months to whip up some niantics. So anyone in Arizona, I'm in the phoenix area and willing to travel lets say to the Tucson area. But not too far North because my ants would be from a completely different biome. :) Lemme know Arizonians.
I know this is two years old but are you still in the ant business? Im in Tucson. Looking for queens.

Barfdog

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Atlantica wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 am
Barfdog wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm
Anyone from Arizona that would be interested in springtime. I plan to have queens to sell by Early March at the soonest I hope, but some depending on the species might want to give them a few months to whip up some niantics. So anyone in Arizona, I'm in the phoenix area and willing to travel lets say to the Tucson area. But not too far North because my ants would be from a completely different biome. :) Lemme know Arizonians.
I know this is two years old but are you still in the ant business? Im in Tucson. Looking for queens.
I never really got onto GAN, unfortunately, that was mostly because I made a small group chat with some Arizona members and we ended up doing some trading between each other and helping each other out. Right now I just have a Camponotus colony I plan on keeping and I just caught a Tetramorium or some species I have yet to ID, waiting to see if she sheds her wings or does anything. I'll keep you in mind.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

silenced007

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Anyone in AZ still active?