Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Martialis wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm
On another forum, there's a database of ant nuptial flights. I can provide you with a link to that post. Look at the genera Pogonomyrmex, Veromessor, and Novomessor.

Most Pogonomyrmex are semi claustral.

Link:

http://www.formiculture.com/index.php/topic/181-ant-mating-chart
Formiculture.com is a great forum as well as this one. Just like Martialis, I am a member of both. You are bound to get answers on one or the other. Formiculture even has a chat room! Personally, I think all would benefit to become a member of both.
Keeping:
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicus x3
Crematogaster cerasi x2
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x3
Pheidole sp. x4
Tapinoma sessile
Tetramorium caspitum x2

countmandibles

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:38 am

It has been raining like crazy in Phoenix. We got 2 inches of rain in an hour a few days ago. So, my question is, should I be looking for queens the day after a rainstorm? Is this a good time to find queens? And, if someone in Arizona wants to be a GAN farmer I will be your first customer.

AntsArizona

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello Everyone! Just wanted to say hi since I'm here in Gilbert, AZ. I started collecting mid last month in July and have collected 20-25 potential queens all in test tube setups. Some of which I have peeked at and saw some eggs. Haven't had a chance to get good pictures yet to ID but I'm guessing its one of these 3 (Tetra, Sole or Lasius). Small in size. Will try and get some pictures in a couple weeks. I will most likely not keep ALL of them so maybe I'll be a possible AZ GAN Farmer.

Any good places you guys have been checking around for queens? I really really want to capture a Pogonomerex as I have come across several nest, but never see any alates.

Anyways. Sup!

IG: AntsArizona