Staying in the area? /Virginia based

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

HunterVirginia

Staying in the area? /Virginia based

Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm

I believe I want to start any keeping soon as I’ve always had odd pets/ friends. I was going through the forum and seen that there are no GAN sellers in Virginia, US. This saddens my heart because I am just now learning to drive. I was wondering how far is advisable to go to retrieve a Queen from someone. I’m surrounding states I’ve seen that there are a few sellers before getting into contact with them I wanted to know what others thought about it.
I’m not making a decision until I have full confidence I can take care of them but I love the videos and read up quite often!
21/ Roanoke, Virginia, USA

Hawkeye

Re: Staying in the area? /Virginia based

Sun May 31, 2020 4:43 pm

HunterVirginia wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm
I believe I want to start any keeping soon as I’ve always had odd pets/ friends. I was going through the forum and seen that there are no GAN sellers in Virginia, US. This saddens my heart because I am just now learning to drive. I was wondering how far is advisable to go to retrieve a Queen from someone. I’m surrounding states I’ve seen that there are a few sellers before getting into contact with them I wanted to know what others thought about it.
I’m not making a decision until I have full confidence I can take care of them but I love the videos and read up quite often!
21/ Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Hi there!

I am from the Netherlands, so forgive me if I am wrong, but I think there are some laws that prevent you from transporting ant colonies across state lines. So you might want to check that.
Having said that, this is the perfect time to go out and capture your own queen. Venture out after a rain shower and you'll likely run into one.