The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

Serafine

Re: The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Mikey has actually responded to the RIFA/GAN being chaotic in general issue. No idea why there isn't an announcement on the forum yet, maybe they need some time to prepare a good one.

This is awesome and the best possible reaction. I'm curious what the upcoming changes will be, hopefully they will make GAN more attractive and easier to use.
Hi guys,

Thanks for bringing all of this to my attention. Actually, this post was helpful for us at AntsCanada. Because of this, we have made some adjustments to our GAN Project, to tighten things up and improve the quality and work of the GAN Project.

Starting today we are not allowing the sale of Solenopsis invicta (RIFA) anywhere in USA. If people are not sure if they have Solenopsis invicta, we will have them post a photo on the forum to help with an ID of their queen before we put them up on the GAN Project listing.

We will also be more careful not to add queens without workers to the GAN Project, as this was our policy from the start.

From now on, as well, we will no longer allow the listing of Unidentified Queens. We will have applicants post photos of their ants in the forum ID Centre to at least get a genus name before we list them in the GAN Project.

Feedback like this is super helpful, so please continue to bring things like to our attention by emailing us at info@AntsCanada.com or emailing me directly mikey@AntsCanada.com . We also have some cool changes coming up for GAN Farmers and those buying from them soon.

Ant love forever, guys! :)

Mikey

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:45 am

As you know, I completely agreed with you from the start! This makes me so happy, that Mikey especially, has been notified about this problem and has begun to resolve the situation. I was beginning to think it was a lost cause but Mikey, you truly do care about all your work and I know I for one take that to heart. This is why you have succeeded where others have failed. Thank you Serafine for your support and help with this as I live in Tennessee in the States and though I have a Solenopsis richteri queen, with her first 5 nanitics :D, I think they spread enough on their own as it is and it was a big problem. Not to mention the sale of unidentified species and even some without workers.....thanks to all who have helpd with the GAN project and may it continue to grow and become the place for all of us ant keepers to sell/buy ants and become friends. You guys at AntsCanada deserve to know this is very appreciated that you have taken the time to acknowledge and the time to fix what was wrong. Thank you dearly for listening and again to all who stood behind us who saw this and spoke up. And to you as well Serafine especially as you don't even live in the States...you have made the GAN a better program from your caring nature of our ecosystems here in the US...much appreciation!!!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

EazyE22

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:33 am

Is there any GAN Farmers in Brooklyn New york ? I am new to ant keeping and I know that there are alot of species here that are hardy and good for beginners

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 pm

EazyE22 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:33 am
Is there any GAN Farmers in Brooklyn New york ? I am new to ant keeping and I know that there are alot of species here that are hardy and good for beginners
You can check here: http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
Scroll down and click on North America. Then find the New York GAN Farmers.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

EazyE22

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi is there any farmers in Brooklyn? Also are you allowed to ship in state.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 am

EazyE22 wrote:
The GAN Project is currently being overhauled on the AntsCanada.com web site. I don't see any GAN Farmers in Brooklyn NY right now, but you should check back periodically over the next month or so and see.

Mailing ants is prohibited as part of the GAN Farmer agreement.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

EazyE22

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:19 pm

No even in state because I read that it is illegal to ship across the boarders of them but people do it with in where they live but no where else.

Jadeninja9

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm

ooper01 wrote:
EazyE22 wrote:
The GAN Project is currently being overhauled on the AntsCanada.com web site. I don't see any GAN Farmers in Brooklyn NY right now, but you should check back periodically over the next month or so and see.

What do you mean it's being overhauled?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm
ooper01 wrote:
EazyE22 wrote:

What do you mean it's being overhauled?
GAN Farmers are being given the ability to update and maintain their own listings of queen ants that they have for sale. Up until now, GAN Farmers have contacted AntsCanada staff to let them know when they needed to change their listings. This has become too big of a job for AC, so we are modifying the web site to allow for these changes to be made directly by the individual GAN Farmers. All the same rules still apply for buying and selling colonies.

Sorry if I made it sound like more than it really is ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:19 pm

EazyE22 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:19 pm
No even in state because I read that it is illegal to ship across the boarders of them but people do it with in where they live but no where else.
As far as I know, it is illegal to ship reproductive ants, which I assume means queens and male alates, across state boundaries. I don't know if it is illegal to ship them within a state. However, the GAN Farmer Agreement states that ants are not to be shipped at all. It is stated this way to avoid any confusion. It is also quite a rough ride for the ants and it has been found in the past that some queens do not survive the trip, which causes problems for buyer and seller.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator