The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

khan432

Re: The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi I would like to adopt a tetramorium sp e colony from a GAN farmer in Brooklyn, NYC. Can I know how much one would cost. Thank you.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:55 pm

khan432 wrote:Hi I would like to adopt a tetramorium sp e colony from a GAN farmer in Brooklyn, NYC. Can I know how much one would cost. Thank you.
I believe our Brooklyn GAN Farmer is now out of ants but hoping to catch more before summer ends. Can you travel to Granville, NY? If so email me contact-us@AntsCanada.com
Ant Love Forever.

Sonnette

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:47 pm

If you purchase an ant (I've got one in mind), do you just transport them via car, or is there some special way you must get them?

(Also, I can only get my second choice of ants cause my first choice is like 14 kilometers out of the 250 kilometer mark, oh well.)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:12 pm

Sonnette wrote:If you purchase an ant (I've got one in mind), do you just transport them via car, or is there some special way you must get them?

(Also, I can only get my second choice of ants cause my first choice is like 14 kilometers out of the 250 kilometer mark, oh well.)
You can just transport them in your car. Set them somewhere secure, like on the passenger seat or floor and no quick stops or accelerations! ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Canadiananter

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:28 pm

I wish that I could sell queens not yet proven to be fertile and instead state the risk of infertility on the ad as I have caught few extra lasius and crematogaster queens which have to hibernate before laying eggs. Is this possible?

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:51 pm

I live in west Tennessee and wondering if it may be to late to find a queen? And also if there is anyone close selling any? I have messaged the one GAN farmer that's listed for Tennessee at the moment with no reply (has been a few days now).
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

BleedingRaindrops

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 am

Checking in from Okinawa, Japan. I'll be here for a couple years yet so I'm interested in helping connect any enthusiasts out here with some queens during that time.
Currently have no colonies, just making my presence known.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

Serafine

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 am

GAN farmers are selling Solenopsis invicta on the store front page.
This is a huge issue because transporting/selling Solenopsis invicta out of the RIFA quaranteen zone is a violation of US laws (the RIFA quaranteen zone goes straight through several states, so even selling RIFA to a person within the same state might be illegal) and in several states where you can find them keeping them is illegal (like in California, and authorities are pretty rigid on this, Drew had to kill his own RIFA colony because of that).
Also it is a direct violation of the GAN rules since they are not native (plus RIFA is a very invasive species that does wreak havoc on the local fauna wherever it spreads).

GAN needs more moderation and a stricter enforcement of it's own rules. Seeing "unidentified black ants" sold in glass bottles put a pretty terrible impression on the whole project.

FarrAnts

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am

AntsCanada wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:47 am
larynx wrote:
New2Ants wrote:I would love to buy ants here in Georgia, but I can't seem to find anyone in the GAN project selling them. But I should say that I prefer catching them by hand and dedicating a few hours a day to do so. :D
in Georgia here, ill be joining GAN this fall. :D we gotta get GA on the ant map!
I second that! I feel sad having to turn away inquiring ant lovers from GA asking to buy ants from neighbouring States. I simply tell them that we cannot sell to them because it is illegal to transport ants across State lines in US, and I assure them that one day someone from GA will sign up to be a GAN Farmer.

I dream of the day every State has at least one GAN Farmer.
You'll have one soon in North Dakota!
Ball is life... Ants included.

DARKKID1000

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I just submitted an application with just my address verification because my ID is Florida while im living in UT if age is needed still please let me know in an email and i'll send that happily as well