The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Our Project Objective

To put it simply: We find you ant colonies with a queen to stock your formicariums with only locally caught and raised ant species. All over the world, we are constantly bringing together ant keepers (as well as ant keepers-to-be) with locally raised ant colonies. Here is what acclaimed biologist, nature photographer Alex Wild has to say:

“The Global Ant Nursery is an excellent idea, and is the responsible way to enjoy an ant-keeping hobby. Not only does connecting suppliers with local hobbyists prevent the accidental release of pest ants, the Global Ant Nursery should help foster regional myrmecological communities. I hope it succeeds!” -Alex Wild (biologist, nature photographer http://www.alexanderwild.com)

The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™ aims to help those who find it hard to find their own queen ants during nuptial flight by offering up for adoption ant colonies raised by local ant keepers from their area. Also, the practice of ordering or importing ant colonies through the mail is both illegal in many areas and potentially disastrous to a local ecosystem, therefore the GAN Project exists to encourage responsible ant keeping by promoting the keeping of local ant species. Finally, the project aims at expanding our ever-growing global network and AntsCanada team of ant lovers.

Need a Live Ant Colony With a Queen?

The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery aims at promoting the keeping of native ant species and not species imported from other areas. This is how it works. AntsCanada has a growing network of GAN (i.e. Global Ant Nursery) Farmers whom we recruit from around the world to sell ant colonies (with queens that they capture locally) to ant lovers like yourself, living within their area (maximum 250 km away and within State/legal limits). Instead of mailing ants to you, you must pick up the ants in person after purchasing the colony through a secure *** SPAM *** payment. Below is our updated list of GAN Farmers and the ants they are offering up for adoption. Note: For ecological safety issues, we are unable to sell queens to you if you live more than 250 km away from any of our designated GAN Farmers listed below. Other restrictions apply and proof of residence will be required from you. You will also be required to sign our GAN Host agreement, the terms of which can be read here.

See our current available ant species listing by GAN Farmer location here: http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/

How to adopt an Ant Colony from us

If you live within 250 km of the locations listed above and are interested in the available species in your area just contact us and we would be happy to provide you a price listing and further instructions on how to purchase and pick up your new ant colony. Remember you will have to purchase the colony via *** SPAM *** as well as pick up the ant colony in person, as we do not ship live ants through the mail. You will also be asked to sign our GAN Host agreement and possibly show proof of residence. If you do not see a GAN Farmer near your location of residence, keep checking back regularly because new GAN Farmers will be recruited over time. Also be sure to follow us on Twitter @AntsCanada as we will be tweeting every time a new GAN Farmer gets recruited and their location.

Testimonials from new Ant Colony Owners

Here are testimonials from new satisfied ant keepers who have adopted ants from us:

“Knowing exactly what species of ant you have, and how to care for it is really the most difficult part of ant keeping. If you would rather not learn by trial and error (at the risk of your colony) the GAN Project is perfect because someone who is very knowledgeable about the species will give you insight into what to do and what not to do for the exact species, and size of the colony. I was very nervous about getting a queen without any workers, but Bill gave me a lot of useful information and my Queen has been doing great and has more brood. Also I have a much more interesting Queen species (Camponotus semitestaceus) than one I ever would have been able to find myself. I would highly recommend anyone interesting in ant keeping to first explore the GAN Project to avoid mistakes due to inexperience. The GAN farmer is also very responsive to email if you have any future questions about that species. Thank you Mikey from AntsCandada, and Bill! This has been a great experience and I definitely would purchase another Queen using the GAN project!” -Cameron (Bay Area, California, USA – July 2015)

“I am new to ant keeping, and had recently stumbled upon the hobby through an AntsCanada youtube video. After spending hours watching videos, documentaries, and reading about ants, I just had to get my hands on a queen so that I could observe them myself, but I work full time, I don’t have much leisure time to look for queens, so I had messaged AntsCanada to arrange the purchase of a Prenolepis Imparis queen. After recieving a *** SPAM *** money request, I was given the details of who would be providing me with my P. Imparis queen. Shorlty after I spoke with the ant farmer who’s name was Tash, and due to me having an afternoon shift the next day, Tash was more than willing to meet up early. The purchase went smoothly and quickly, at the time my queen had just a few eggs, but now she has an entire test tube full of nanitics. I am very satisfied with the GAN project, if it wasn’t for the GAN, I would still be struggling to catch a queen and start a successful colony to this day. If you are struggling to catch a queen and begin a successful colony like I was, I definitely suggest the Global Ant Nursery Project. A very good, safe, and practical way for all ant keepers alike to begin their own observations of the wonder little creatures we’ve grown to adore so much. This project also helps you develope a strong appreciation for your native ant species. AntsCanada and the GAN project were amazing to me, and I couldn’t be any happier. I am definitely coming back for more queens in the future.” -Bruno (London, Ontario, Canada – July 11th, 2014)

If you are interested in adopting an ant colony from us and you see that we have a GAN Farmer in your area, feel free to contact us via email at contact-us@AntsCanada.com to inquire about our adoption process.

Want to join the AntsCanada Team and become a GAN Farmer?

For anyone interested in applying to be an official AntsCanada GAN Farmer (must be 18 yrs or older or must partner with a parent or guardian) to sell queen ants/colonies to local ant lovers, please contact us to inquire about our recruitment process. We are currently looking particularly for individuals from major cities in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Asia, South America, and Europe. Some restrictions apply and proof of address and age will be required.

- See more at:http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
Ant Love Forever.

LordAlza

Re: The AntsCanada Global Ant Nursery Project™

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:55 am

This project is a success, as I have bought many colonies from AntsCanada

I rate 8/8 mate.

Antscanada73

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Mikey I have a question has there been anyone in or around UK Manchester who is either buying or selling queens or colonies?

Carl75

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:35 am

SweetDirtyTooth is a member here from Manchester and has offered me a Lasius fluvas queen and a few workers. If they haven't sent it you could see if you could have it. I won't mind as I live a long way from Manchester.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:29 am

Just be sure to abide by UK laws when moving ants, and please do not ship ants in the mail. Ants should not be leaving their general region or area. We do not support transport of ants across a wide distance.
Ant Love Forever.

Carl75

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:54 pm

There are a few websites/companies that will supply live ants in the UK. They normally come in a test tube setup and are delivered really quick to minimise stress to the ants.

I have read reviews and customers seem happy and only afew reported dead ants and that was 1 ant out of approximately 25 ants.

I am hoping to catch a queen during nuptial flights, but may have to order online if I can't catch a queen.

Acorns

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I have 15 colony's with workers I am ready to join the project .

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Acorns wrote:I have 15 colony's with workers I am ready to join the project .
Please do :)
Ant Love Forever.

Antscanada73

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:22 pm

Carl75 wrote:SweetDirtyTooth is a member here from Manchester and has offered me a Lasius fluvas queen and a few workers. If they haven't sent it you could see if you could have it. I won't mind as I live a long way from Manchester.
He offered me lasuis flavus to but I have only researched for lasuis niger so I told him.

Carl75

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:56 pm

I think care of Lasius Niger and Lasius Flavus are very similar.