Nuptial flight is on in NE PA go and get them!!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

Re: Nuptial flight is on in NE PA go and get them!!!

Wed May 18, 2016 11:44 am

thescienceguy1980 wrote:I caught 15 but one died for some unknown reason, so I have 14 now, in test tube setups. I am working on posting pics :D They are very small 1.25 mm to be exact ( My digital microscope has a measuring tool). I am keeping them on top of my Bearded Dragon Drake's VIV. so they will be warm. I am hoping there workers are at least her size because I would like to keep larger ants! :D Did you catch anything in the past few days? Weather has not been to good, but weather will brighten up Thursday so keep your eyes peeled for queens then! :D
Good luck!
I found some on 5/12 and then 5/13 but nothing since. You have queens that are 1.25mm? holy cow that's small.
What kind of microscope do you have? I've been looking into a digital one so I can take decent picks on my PC...[/quote]
Have you ever heard of seen a queen this small? I know its a queen because in the pics you can see where the wings were torn off.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

thescienceguy1980

Wed May 18, 2016 11:47 am

Here the link to my digital micro scope it is 70$ so not to pricey :D
http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/mi ... microscope
Only thing is it has a bright light that might scare ants. They also make one that clip to phone cameras. I have still yet to find out what species they are I made a post with pics check them out! :D[/quote]

thanks for sharing! Looks like it would work great! I am new to the hobby so I cannot ID species. Is the one you have in the pic dead?

AntsRule

Wed May 18, 2016 11:48 am

thescienceguy1980 wrote:Here the link to my digital micro scope it is 70$ so not to pricey :D
Only thing is it has a bright light that might scare ants. They also make one that clip to phone cameras. I have still yet to find out what species they are I made a post with pics check them out! :D
thanks for sharing! Looks like it would work great! I am new to the hobby so I cannot ID species. Is the one you have in the pic dead?[/quote]
Yes it died for some unknown reason. I do not think I would have been able to get a pic of a live one because they are pretty quick. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

thescienceguy1980

Wed May 18, 2016 11:59 am

Yes it died for some unknown reason. I do not think I would have been able to get a pic of a live one because they are pretty quick. :D[/quote]

How did you even see them at 1.25mm long? I have some tiny species around my house and the workers are about that size, I couldn't imagine trying to see them as queens at that size. I keep looking at my ruler and the mm lines are SO tiny : ) haha wow. Here are the pics of the tiniest ones I have, they appear to be about 5mm long which is SO small compared to my 13-17mm Camps!

AntsRule

Wed May 18, 2016 12:11 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:Here the link to my digital micro scope it is 70$ so not to pricey :D
Only thing is it has a bright light that might scare ants. They also make one that clip to phone cameras. I have still yet to find out what species they are I made a post with pics check them out! :D
thanks for sharing! Looks like it would work great! I am new to the hobby so I cannot ID species. Is the one you have in the pic dead?[/quote]

I saw the males hanging around a colony I had been observing the past few days. I saw some queens that still had wings around the colony so I new they probably had not flown yet. I waited about an hour and searched under rocks and in the grass around the colony. I found the queens with no wings so I new they had flown. I think I know the colony they came from so I will post pics of the possible workers! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.