TONS OF ANTS OUT TODAY!!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

thescienceguy1980

TONS OF ANTS OUT TODAY!!!

Tue May 03, 2016 12:11 pm

I found 4 queens over my half hour lunch break. 2 Camponotus and 2 what look to be Lasius. Correct me if I'm off there : ) Go out there and check them out! Lancaster County PA! Yesterday was rainy in the night into the morning and today is overcast but a little humid and warmish (60* F) Good luck everyone!

thescienceguy1980

Re: TONS OF ANTS OUT TODAY!!!

Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 pm

The more I find the lasius style queens the more I think they are not queens. Their abdomens are larger than usual ants but it looks like this may be the workers. I wondered why there were so darn many on one tree... Anyone else agree here that the smaller ants are looking more like workers than queens?

idahoantgirl

Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:The more I find the lasius style queens the more I think they are not queens. Their abdomens are larger than usual ants but it looks like this may be the workers. I wondered why there were so darn many on one tree... Anyone else agree here that the smaller ants are looking more like workers than queens?
yes, i think those are workers. The size difference between camponautus queens and lasius queens isn't that big. They also have small abdomens and no tall thorax. Also, the fact that you found a bunch of them on one tree also signifies that they are workers. Maybe they aren't lasius, but some other species with super majors. The other two are definitely queens.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

thescienceguy1980

Tue May 03, 2016 3:44 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
thescienceguy1980 wrote:The more I find the lasius style queens the more I think they are not queens. Their abdomens are larger than usual ants but it looks like this may be the workers. I wondered why there were so darn many on one tree... Anyone else agree here that the smaller ants are looking more like workers than queens?
yes, i think those are workers. The size difference between camponautus queens and lasius queens isn't that big. They also have small abdomens and no tall thorax. Also, the fact that you found a bunch of them on one tree also signifies that they are workers. Maybe they aren't lasius, but some other species with super majors. The other two are definitely queens.

Awesome thank you for the info! Im releasing them back to their tree : )

AntsRule

Wed May 04, 2016 8:18 am

I am jealous!!! I live around there, but I was away Tuesday, I will get them another day. I also agree that the two small ants are barren female workers, but the others look like queens. Nice catches!!!
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

kierenbranson

Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Good Job keep up the good work.

CherylT

Wed May 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Congrats ScienceGuy on your ant finds. I am very new to this and feel like I don't know what I'm doing. But that won't stop me!! LOL! I'm in MD and its been rainy the last few days, so I'm certain tbe conditions are excellent and yesterday was quite humid after the rains. I had a strange opportunity yesterday afternoon. I noticed a bunch of ant hills and on closer look tiny worker ants milling around by the car park. I thought Id bring out a bit of fruit and drop it for them. I'm assuming they are pavement ants, tiny as they were. I don't know the scientific name. Any how I went back to see if they took any of the fruit bits. Funny because I couldn't see the fruit bits because so many ants were chowing all I could see was brown. I could see a bit into one of the tunnels and saw the ants moving 2 larvae. I thought they were briging them out but they disappeared into what I m guessing was a lateral tunnel . I assumed they were moving them from the moisture. I guess it's silly I get a kick outta things.

idahoantgirl

Wed May 04, 2016 5:02 pm

CherylT wrote:Congrats ScienceGuy on your ant finds. I am very new to this and feel like I don't know what I'm doing. But that won't stop me!! LOL! I'm in MD and its been rainy the last few days, so I'm certain tbe conditions are excellent and yesterday was quite humid after the rains. I had a strange opportunity yesterday afternoon. I noticed a bunch of ant hills and on closer look tiny worker ants milling around by the car park. I thought Id bring out a bit of fruit and drop it for them. I'm assuming they are pavement ants, tiny as they were. I don't know the scientific name. Any how I went back to see if they took any of the fruit bits. Funny because I couldn't see the fruit bits because so many ants were chowing all I could see was brown. I could see a bit into one of the tunnels and saw the ants moving 2 larvae. I thought they were briging them out but they disappeared into what I m guessing was a lateral tunnel . I assumed they were moving them from the moisture. I guess it's silly I get a kick outta things.
cool!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile