Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

noebl1
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: N. Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17492Post noebl1
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 am

Can you take any pics of their activity? Not sure I've ever seen a P. Imparis nest.

FWIW I noticed that the day of flights (or close flights where the alates surface but don't fly), Lasius workers are super active foraging and also noticebly widening entrances.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17495Post Nathant
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am

I was not able to confirm where the nest entrances are but they go crazy over hardwood trees and tree sap. I'm getting some more videos and I will share them later.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

noebl1
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: N. Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17497Post noebl1
Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Nathant wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am
I was not able to confirm where the nest entrances are but they go crazy over hardwood trees and tree sap. I'm getting some more videos and I will share them later.
Thanks!

Well it officially broke 70 degrees in Boston, Providence and Hartford. Just came back inside from an hour walk and nothing yet.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17500Post Nathant
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm

noebl1 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm
Nathant wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am
I was not able to confirm where the nest entrances are but they go crazy over hardwood trees and tree sap. I'm getting some more videos and I will share them later.
Thanks!

Well it officially broke 70 degrees in Boston, Providence and Hartford. Just came back inside from an hour walk and nothing yet.
It was 72 in Methuen (where I was) at one point but all I've got is more foraging. I wonder if they flew anywhere in New England.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

noebl1
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: N. Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17504Post noebl1
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Nathant wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm
It was 72 in Methuen (where I was) at one point but all I've got is more foraging. I wonder if they flew anywhere in New England.
I wonder if still too early for them to fly; especially if they've only recently started foraging again for the season. Guessing if they just started going out this week, if they didn't fly today, next day in the next few weeks it hits 70, they'll fly. I'll take a walk again tonight to see just to be safe. Saw tons of other insects today, so I'm definitely getting Spring fever.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17505Post Nathant
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm

noebl1 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm
Nathant wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm
It was 72 in Methuen (where I was) at one point but all I've got is more foraging. I wonder if they flew anywhere in New England.
I wonder if still too early for them to fly; especially if they've only recently started foraging again for the season. Guessing if they just started going out this week, if they didn't fly today, next day in the next few weeks it hits 70, they'll fly. I'll take a walk again tonight to see just to be safe. Saw tons of other insects today, so I'm definitely getting Spring fever.
I have been seeing tons of insects too like fireflies and wasps. Tip: If you find Ellychnia corrusca (the winter firefly) a lot that often means P. imparis are active due to the similar temperatures they are active in. I found at least 5 on trees over the past couple days.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

noebl1
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: N. Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17506Post noebl1
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Nathant wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm
I have been seeing tons of insects too like fireflies and wasps. Tip: If you find Ellychnia corrusca (the winter firefly) a lot that often means P. imparis are active due to the similar temperatures they are active in. I found at least 5 on trees over the past couple days.
Yup, I saw Ellychnia corrusca on the side of a building today.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17507Post Nathant
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:06 pm

noebl1 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:02 pm
Nathant wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm
I have been seeing tons of insects too like fireflies and wasps. Tip: If you find Ellychnia corrusca (the winter firefly) a lot that often means P. imparis are active due to the similar temperatures they are active in. I found at least 5 on trees over the past couple days.
Yup, I saw Ellychnia corrusca on the side of a building today.
Nice. I think you are right about P. imparis being too early; I find it hard to believe that they fly before they start foraging or when they just start. The conditions may be right, it just might be the date itself.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17515Post Nathant
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:21 pm

I am back home and the P. imparis colony/colonies in my yard were active and foraging when I checked about an hour ago.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Post: # 17516Post Nathant
Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:32 pm

I've got the vids.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFVlS3tevU

This is the entire habitat of where I find them. (Methuen) About half of these trees (None of The Softwoods) have colonies or are commonly foraged on, but I am shining the light on one tree in particular.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ0iFmo6gA

They group up a lot at the base of the tree and climb it , but they scale the partly broken branch that is hanging off of the tree. A lot of sap is produced off it and I often see them grouped up at the wet parts of it which is the sap.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwazAFCKQ3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEG3EjUNF8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyf0AsE_Vg




I hope P. imparis flies soon!
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest