Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm

zkublin wrote:Any chance you may have miss IDed it when I posted it on the ID boards? Should I post again for you to double check?
I gave the most likely ID, given what I could see. If you can get a look at the mandibles, you can probably figure out her identity yourself. :)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:34 pm

noebl1 wrote:I didn't think Lasius pallitarsis was too common on the east coast at all?
Lasius subumbratus is fairly common on the east coast, and are supposedly exclusive to parasitizing Lasius pallitarsis in the wild. The ants in the forests that look like Lasius neoniger, but are not Lasius alienus, are most likely Lasius pallitarsis.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm

High of 69F today. Lasius alates poked out of some nest entrances, but it was probably a little too cold/windy for them. I saw one Myrmica alate doing the same. Lasius umbratus dealates can still be found in abundance at the bases of old trees.

Somebody in the DC area found Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, so I will definitely be checking out the forest where I know they live. This weekend is supposed to hit 70 degrees in Portland.

Austheboss

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Hey I found the tiniest queen yesterday, it was really warm. It is the size of a tetramorium worker but the color of a lasius neoniger or flavus queen. There is no way I will be able to get an accurate picture though. :D
By the way, haven't posted in awhile because of school and homework and other things. lol
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

Martialis

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Just a reminder that while September may seem like the end of the nuptial flights, in the United States there are still many interesting species flying throughought September.

Since a lot of the country has experienced another drought, Camponotus will probably be having another flight this month. These queens will likely be hungry, so give them a tiny bit of sugary liquid if you catch them.

Myrmica, Myrmecina, Crematogaster and Aphaenogaster will probably be flying in a short while. Keep an eye out for Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, a beautiful, small, red social parasite of other Aphaenogaster.

Ponera pennsylvanica will be flying. Ponera is a tiny, brown, semi-claustral, subterranean ant that appreciates damp burrowing media like lightly-packed coconut fiber. Their favorite food is springtails, but they will also appreciate Drosophila melanogaster flies.

Stigmatomma pallipes is very difficult to found in captivity without a helpers (a cocoon, worker, or maybe another queen). They require a lot of care and patience, as it can take six months for an egg to develop into a worker. They will need a moist, flat, meticulously clean founding chamber and foraging arena. They feed on geophilomorph and litobiid centipedes in the wild, but will accept small Tenebrio molitor larvae (best offered alive). These ants can be found near moist woodlands.

Lasius will likely still be flying by the end of the month. There are various social parasites making appearances, from the bizarre Lasius latipes to the approachable Lasius umbratus and L. speculiventris. Lasius neoniger, Lasius flavus, and Lasius nearcticus will also show up now and again.

Fall is a time for a lot of unique ants to fly. :D
Those Stigmatomma pallipes... are they vampire ants? I looked them up, and they're part of the Amblyoponinae genus.. It also says "Larval hemolymph feeding" on Antwiki.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Yes, they are. Also, notoriously difficult and slow. It takes an entire year for brood to develop. They've been found five miles south of where I live, but I didn't see any this year (or ever).

Martialis

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Yes, they are. Also, notoriously difficult and slow. It takes an entire year for brood to develop. They've been found five miles south of where I live, but I didn't see any this year (or ever).
Okay. Thank you.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Still a little too cold and breezy for Lasius in Maine. Wednesday is going to be pretty warm. I did see one Crematogaster male out on his own.

Nathant

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 pm

Should we ressurect this topic for the upcoming ant season here in MA, or make a new one?
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Nathant

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:20 pm

noebl1 wrote:
Nathant wrote:Should we ressurect this topic for the upcoming ant season here in MA, or make a new one?
I'm game to keep this one alive. A lot of people like myself have *** SPAM *** to this thread, so I'd vote to keep it.
Alright then. Can't wait till spring haha :lol:
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants