Anyone else in Minnesota? Northern Climate US

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntzMN

Anyone else in Minnesota? Northern Climate US

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:09 am

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and will be having a great time hopefully soon in searching for queens to start a colony(s). Is anyone else on here from Minnesota or another close cold climate state? It is still quite chilly up here and as of yet I'm not seeing hardly any invertebrate movement, however the deer ticks are out already :cry:
I'm wondering which species up here like to fly first?

Thanks for your replies

Ants4fun

Re: Anyone else in Minnesota? Northern Climate US

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:52 am

I lived in Jasper, MN for a while, and now live in Sioux Falls, SD however. You can start to expect Prenolepis imparis and Camponotus SP.

AntzMN

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the quick response! I will definitely be searching for Prenopelis imparis soon as it is still quite cold here. Such an interesting species. I'm just concerned about keeping them because I plan on housing a colony in my reptile room, which is always above 72 degrees F. I know they don't do well in warm temps so maybe I'll have to wait for a different species?

Thanks
Brrr..... so cold

WillWithAnts

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 pm

Hey AntzMN! Welcome! I'm from Rapid City, South Dakota. Some Camponotus are supposed to be flying (given the right conditions) this time of the year, and most of them will keep having flights until June. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm excited to start the season again! Happy anting :D

AntzMN

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey WillwithAnts,

Thanks for the welcome. I will also be searching for camponotus when they emerge! Looking forward to seeing Prenopelis too but just trying to find a way to successfully keep them at adiquate temps. Also Lasius are quite awesome but later in the summer? We have a typical larger March snow fall coming through tomorrow so that could suspend spring activities depending on amount of accumulation. I look forward to hearing from northern climate members about when they actually see activities.
Btw I have visited several times and love Rapid City, SD.
Brrr..... so cold

WillWithAnts

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:45 am

Hello again! It snowed last wednesday but then it had warmed up by Thursday afternoon. The same thing happened on Friday. I haven't seen a lot of ants in general yet, but if I see any flights, I'll write about it here! Yes, to answer your question, L. neoniger (very common) is among the last to fly in the summer. I am raising a couple that I caught last August. Good luck! :D

hyenadog

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello! I am up north in the United States as well, I'm in Montana. Ever since the weather has started to warm up I have gone on daily walks searching for ants but I haven't seen very many yet maybe five to eight workers just walking on the cement. I don't know about Minnesota but there is still a little bit of snow on the ground here even though it's 58 degrees and sunny. If I happen to wander into a nuptial flight or encounter a queen I will post about it here first. :D

soldierjoe83

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:26 pm

I log. Instill run into logs full of males n queens. I'm always out doors and I think there not flying yet. I have not even seen pupae yet.

AntzMN

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks for the response guys/gals! I have been searching on cement and in the woods in my area for the last couple weeks. Still no signs of flights :( Yesterday it snowed and was quite cold again (33 degrees F) but today it warmed up to about (68 degrees F). I was hoping to see some movement and happened to run into a lot of flies mating. No ants still. Everyone in the northern climates let's keep each other posted on when we start seeing those queens.

Regards
Brrr..... so cold

martinnate

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:07 am

Did u watch the youtube post from Mikie? I think u can view it here https://youtu.be/WfaK8TvM0qA its the flight schedule