Carpenter (Camponotus) Ants, Ky

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Ethankingk

Carpenter (Camponotus) Ants, Ky

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:17 am

Hey guys I am REALLY new to the hole ant keeper thing and I want to catch a Carpenter Ant queen but I don't know a thing about when there Nuptial flight is or when it is most likely to happen. I am utterly blind to everything carpenter ant queens and I would love your help.I live in the north west of Kentucky and would love for some help on the subject of Carpenter ants. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Carpenter (Camponotus) Ants, Ky

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:51 am

Most Camponotus ants have nuptial flights in the months of April through June. A few start as early as March and some extend into July. If you don't live conveniently close to where they may be flying, it can be difficult to time your searches. Most species of ant will fly a day or two after a rain storm.

If you know where a few Camponotus nests are, you can monitor them on a regular basis during these months checking for alate (winged ants) activity around the entrance. Another option I have used is to just pick a day, say in May sometime when there is a good chance they have already had their nuptial flights, and take a hammer and a screwdriver, along with other queen ant collection supplies (test tubes, featherweight tweezers), and go into the woods. Look for rotting wood and carefully pry open sections looking for newly mated queens. Also check under rocks.

Good luck!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator