Camponotus Nuptial Flight Timeframe

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Antdarke

Camponotus Nuptial Flight Timeframe

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi guys!

How important is the timeframe of a nuptial flight i see on the internet? For example im looking for a Camponotus Ligniperda queen in central europe, I found that flights are from may to june. I have been looking for almost 3 weeks and didnt find any camponotus queens yet.

How long do i have to find one? Is there still a chance in july? Thanks!

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus Nuptial Flight Timeframe

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:12 pm

They will generally stop flying by late July, and you might see a few queens in the fall.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Antdarke

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:36 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
They will generally stop flying by late July, and you might see a few queens in the fall.
So its not like they can all just randomly do the flights in May?

Batspiderfish

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Antdarke wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:36 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
So its not like they can all just randomly do the flights in May?
One colony alone may release alates on different occasions and every colony is experiencing slightly different environmental conditions, so in most cases you will find queens of that species over a span of time and not all at once.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.