TETRAMORIUM: ARE THEY FLYING???

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

CatsnAnts

TETRAMORIUM: ARE THEY FLYING???

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Are tetramorium flying right now??? Because there is a big nest with about 12 alates in it and they were moving about during the night (even the alates). Do you think they will fly tonight, we had rain showers yesterday, and for four days before that. So the ground is moist, but has had time to settle for a day. I am going to get up at 5:30 and look until 7:30 in the morning, wish me luck!
Camponotus subbarbatus x3
Temnothorax curvispinosus x1 :shock: :D
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Re: TETRAMORIUM: ARE THEY FLYING???

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 pm

If they are Tetramorium, they will likely be flying one of these days just before the sun comes up. You can generally find them all morning, becoming more difficult in the afternoon.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

CatsnAnts

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 am

Thanks for the help!!! (I’m heading out right now at 6:00 am)
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

CatsnAnts

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:21 am

Ahahahah! I just found sooooo many tetramorium queens!!! I need help identifying them! First one is about 6 mm. The second one is about 5 mm.ImageImage
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Tetramorium immigrans, and the other queen is Pheidole sp., likely Ph. bicarinata based on the time of the year, but cannot be identified by this photo.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

NYAnts11

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Catsnants whats your location? Where are they flying? And whats the weather like. Ie humidity, temp, wind, cloud cover?
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

CatsnAnts

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Well NYants11, I live in Jasper, Indiana (or just southern Indiana if you don’t know where Jasper is), and it has been raining for the past couple of days before today. What I mean by that is it was not raining today, or yesterday, but in rained for four days before that. I got up very early this morning (5:30), and looked until 7:00 for tetramorium ants. I did not find any at first, but then after 40 minutes, a nuptial flight happened and they were all around me. If you live in eastern United States, well then now is the time to look for tetramorium ants one day after a good rain. Also, they have their nuptial flights very early in the morning (4:00 to 6:00am). You’ll find one, don’t worry (they’re pretty common to find! But only if you get up early!) As the sang goes, the early bird gets the worm!
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

NYAnts11

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:30 am

Thanks for the reply. I work overnights so im actually available while i work as im a cop in my local village. I work from 9p to 7a. Ive been checking around 5a-7a and when i get home. Ive got a few big colonies of tetramorium ive been keeping an eye on. Theyve been super active but i havent seen any males about quiet yet. Im afraid its been too chilly during the evening and early morning. I could be wrong tho and its just not their time. But ive been keeping an eye out regardless. Fun stuff, always loved ants growing up, just never thought of getting back into until last year. I started following AntsCanada and this year as I just bought a new house i have a extra room im going to dedicate to formicariums and ant colonies. But wanted to have the pleasure of catching my own.
Thanks again for the update.

NYAnts11

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 pm

A fellow AntsCanada forum member posted elsewhere that he had caught 2 tetramorium queens this morning between 7am and 9am. No rainfall in the past 2 days. His location is Syracuse New York.

I searched as well thisnmorning between 5am and 8am to include this evening for a few and found nothing. I'm limiting myself tho to 200 yrd stretch on my block and probably should extend my search area to increase my odds.

New York is supposed to get some rain Monday so Tuesday morning might be a good day to look as weather is warming up as well.