NY TETRAMORIUM

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

NYAnts11

NY TETRAMORIUM

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:06 am

I've been keeping a close eye on the very popular tetramorium around here. Everywhere you go you can find mounds and mounds of them.

It's been a dry past two weeks in northern NY and starting to warm up finally, which has made the tetramorium ants very active the past 2 days in digging their nests. I observed them on my 4:30am morning search working very hard. I'm especially excited to see what will come of tomorrow morning as we are finally due for some showers this afternoon. I will update tomorrow morning or this evening if I see any male movement.

Here I took a photo of one of the few mounds that actually didn't have any activity. Looks as if they already made plenty of room in their nest based on the pile of sand/dirt outside one of their entrances, and they were just sleeping inthis morning preparing for [fingers crossed] a nuptial flight.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/Andrew_Bluman/20180613_053738_zpsyyxcsi4q.jpg
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

dimik13407

Re: NY TETRAMORIUM

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 am

I've seen them getting more and more active in the recent couple weeks. Been carrying candy in my bag and giving it to them whenever I come across some workers on my way to work. With the rain coming today, I'm sure we'll start seeing some flights soon enough.

NYAnts11

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 am

Had some good rain today and into the night, very humid and fairly warm for it being night time. Just went out and looked at colony ive been keeping tabs om out front of my house and they were extremely active for night time.

I will be up and checking the sidewalks, streets and backyards at 6-7am. I will follow up then on if i see anything.

NYAnts11

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 pm

A fellow AntsCanada forum member posted elsewhere that he had caught 2 tetramorium queens this morning between 7am and 9am. No rainfall in the past 2 days. His location is Syracuse New York.

I searched as well thisnmorning between 5am and 8am to include this evening for a few and found nothing. I'm limiting myself tho to 200 yrd stretch on my block and probably should extend my search area to increase my odds.

New York is supposed to get some rain Monday so Tuesday morning might be a good day to look as weather is warming up as well.