Washington, DC Area - Coming up with nothing =(

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Antella

Washington, DC Area - Coming up with nothing =(

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello all!

So I've been long anticipating the nuptial flights in this area. I've been out nearly everyday and twice on days after rains since middle of March or so mostly in the afternoons and evenings and some mornings. As I understand it there should have been a Camponotus flight already. I have seen absolutely zero alates of any species. This has me concerned that I somehow have missed them. I've been wandering the wooded areas, suburban areas and just about anywhere I would and would not expect to spot one. I've been monitoring the lighted areas after dark also, but I just am seeing NO evidence. I've witnessed a termite swarm, but that's it.
What can I do here? Am I not looking in the right places? I have been unturning stones and some deadfall, but I haven't done so as much as I would have liked since I here snakes are a pretty big risk in doing so. I really wanted to get at least one queen and this is very disheartening because I hear about nuptial flights in similar regions and how people are collecting multiple queens from swimming pools, porch lights etc
I'm not giving up, but I'm thinking I must have missed something key here since I just have not come across any queens and I've really been putting in the effort here.
I really appreciate any responses and especially appreciate any thoughtful feedback.

Batspiderfish

Re: Washington, DC Area - Coming up with nothing =(

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:23 pm

The flights are just starting. Camponotus will be flying until mid-July. July and August/September are the busiest mating seasons. It's a little less common for Camponotus to fly in May or early June, although you might find Prenolepis.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Antella

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:30 pm

REALLY?!?! So many reports of people getting Camponotus now in regions that get warm later in the year than Virginia/DC Area. Hey I'll take all the hope I can get. After I wrote the first post I went out for a spell and desperately searched around. Tons of camponotus super majors and a red ant that are slightly smaller if not the same size as the camponotus workers. Well I found a Camponotus queen.. without a gastor =( I was so excited, but then discovered it went through some trauma and wouldn't have a future. =/
I've been out every day, not sure why I found them now, maybe I searched just slightly harder and at a more opportune time. Thanks for answering it gave me hope!

Helianthus

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Hello,
I live in the DC area, too. I'm trying to get my first colony going. I found one camponatus queen a month ago, but she had wings and ended up dying. I had good luck finding tetramorium queens last week, and I also found one Tapinoma queen.
Have you had any luck since you posted?

Helianthus

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am

Hi, again-
I found two tetramorium sp. e queens on Wednesday 6/27. I put them up in test tubes and both already have eggs.