Minnesota nuptial flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

DraxusPro

Minnesota nuptial flights

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey Minnesotans this is a forum for you! :D plz reply with any nuptial flights you see! :D

AntsDakota

Re: Minnesota nuptial flights

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

DraxusPro wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:51 pm
Hey Minnesotans this is a forum for you! :D plz reply with any nuptial flights you see! :D
I know I'm not from Minnesota, but being from your neighbor, the same climate and weather, I figured our nuptial flights happen about the same time. I spotted Camponotus pennsylvanicus in the last week of May, and Lasius neoniger and Solenopsis molesta on the same day, around labor day. I spottted Myrmica sp. about a week after.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntGalMN

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello, new ant keeper here! I’m located in the Saint Paul area of Minnesota. Shoreview-ish, not exact for privacy. I caught a camponotus queen last Thursday. I’m going to go out looking tomorrow and Thursday. Hopefully it will be nice and humid and these rainstorms will encourage some nuptial flights! :D

AntGalMN

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Caught a tetramorqueen last Thursday. She has laid several eggs over the weekend!!!

AntGalMN

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:38 am

I caught a formica on the 14th! It is truly formica season

AntingMN

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Hello! New member here. I used to keep ants when I lived in California and really want to start again now that I’ve settled into Minnesota (Saint Paul). Does anyone have a small colony they might be willing to part ways with?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 am

AntingMN wrote:
Hello! New member here. I used to keep ants when I lived in California and really want to start again now that I’ve settled into Minnesota (Saint Paul). Does anyone have a small colony they might be willing to part ways with?
Welcome to the AC Forums. Just a heads up, Please do not ask for ants on the forums, We do not Sell, Trade, or Give Away ants via the forums. This is in the AC Forum rules and I would advise you to take a look at them. If you interested Please Take a look at the AntsCanada GAN Project to find a GAN Farmer near you. Thanks.

AntsCanada GAN Project web page ---> https://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/

AntsCanada Ants Forums Rules -----> https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

RoryNorth

Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 pm

AntingMN wrote:
welcome to AntsCanada! I am new as well. :-) I've been watching the YouTube series and just learned about the forms here too. I live in upper Minnesota and Detroit Lakes, I have several lasius americanos queens that already have pupa larva and eggs would you be interested in one or two?

AntingMN

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:11 pm

RoryNorth wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 pm

welcome to AntsCanada! I am new as well. :-) I've been watching the YouTube series and just learned about the forms here too. I live in upper Minnesota and Detroit Lakes, I have several lasius americanos queens that already have pupa larva and eggs would you be interested in one or two?
Thanks for the reply! Turns out we aren’t allowed to talk about trading or selling ants on the forum. But leave me a message on my YouTube video and we can discuss!

https://youtu.be/HcEuc31dTfQ

ijayp9814

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:00 pm

I am new to ant keeping too and live in the duluth/superior region so on the border between MN and WI. I've been searching for camponotus pennsylvanicus but yet to find any. I think I found 3 queens of a lasius species but then again I'm brand new to this and it's been a full week and one died and the others haven't layed eggs.

I was wondering if anyone has seen camponotus P. Flying yet this year or any tips for newbie searching for queens for the first time.