Nuptial flights in northwestern Nevada?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Formicine

Nuptial flights in northwestern Nevada?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Late last year I started looking for queens. (I forgot about nuptial flight season until a few queens popped up in my back yard in September.)
Has anyone found queens around March-April around Reno? The only queens I found were in late September.
All I found were camponotus semitestacious and pogonomyrmex occidentalis. (Both IDs could be wrong)
I would really like to find some different queens this year, since I only have 3 of the camponotus ants left, and only one pogo queen.
I don't know how, but most of the pogos ended up covered in a white mold.
Now I'm off topic...
So, if you know when some nuptial flights are likely to happen, I'd appreciate some info on where to look.
Thanks!

Comnav24

Re: Nuptial flights in northwestern Nevada?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Following here, I'm in the Washoe county area and around this time I usually start seeing some queens on the building on base first thing in the morning. I'll be sure to post photos when they start to show.

Formicine

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:26 am

Comnav24 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm
Following here, I'm in the Washoe county area and around this time I usually start seeing some queens on the building on base first thing in the morning. I'll be sure to post photos when they start to show.
Thank you! So happy to know there's another ant person nearby.

Comnav24

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:36 am

Of course, I already have ten stowaways in tube set up...if they start producing workers, then I'll let you know if I capture local queens, maybe I can pass one or two along to you if you don't manage any on your own. :)

Personally I really want honeypot ants ^_^. I think they're really cool.