Nuptial flights in northwestern Nevada?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Formicine

Re: Nuptial flights in northwestern Nevada?

Tue May 08, 2018 8:04 pm

What time of day did you spot her, and what kind of setting? Desert trail? Or more greenery? I've been looking, but I keep coming up empty handed.

Formicine

Fri May 11, 2018 4:48 pm

A person where I work found a winged pogonomymex queen in north Reno. I thought those flew much later in the year. Otherwise, I'm having no luck finding queens above ground.

Formicine

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Just found a pavement ant (tetramorium caespitum) queen in Reno! Walking around on the ground, mid day in the shade. First find of the year!

Formicine

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Cement ant nuptial flight last night!
It's nuts how many there are! And there are so many dead males all over the place! Go get 'em, nevada peeps!

mrfroggy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Has any one seen any pheidole ants or queens i would like a colony.

Formicine

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:05 pm

mrfroggy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Has any one seen any pheidole ants or queens i would like a colony.
I've found a couple colonies, but I don't dig colonies up.
Their flights (according to the AntsCanada video) occur between June and the start of September, but while I've been in NV, I've seen ants fly much later in the year than he predicted.
So, if we get a rain here around the start of September, I bet there will be a pheidole flight.
Also, (though they are the hardest ants to keep in the area) pogonomyrmex have flights all the way til October and they can't climb glass very well! So keep an eye out for those! BUT make sure when you put them in their test tube, you hide them for at least a month before checking on them, maybe more. I've had some get eggs pretty far, then I checked on them and they freaked out and ate all their eggs. Pretty sad stuff.
Good luck!

Formicine

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:23 am

Camponotus semitestaceus queens are out! Found 7 in my back yard tonight! 2 of the 3 that I got last year have nanitics. Gonna keep 4 of these, since they're polymorphic.
Anyone find a pogonomyrmex queen yet? I'm gonna go looking for those tomorrow, since I found a lot of them at this time last year.