Ants in Florida

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

EthanRobinson

Ants in Florida

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am

For people in Florida, I was wondering what ants are flying in your area. So far all I can find is fire ants.

EthanRobinson

Re: Ants in Florida

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am

I'm looking for carpenter ants but I don't know when or where to look.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 pm

EthanRobinson wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am
I'm looking for carpenter ants but I don't know when or where to look.
If your looking for carpenter ants your best bet is to find one that is foraging and follow it back to the nest. Once you find the nest if it's in a rotted tree that has fell down or an above ground stump you can take a white tarp, blanket, or sheet and place it around the (or below) the wood nest and start opening up the wood. Sometimes you can peel back a part of the bark or layer of wood and come across a queen and or brood. If you do have a container ready and take a queen, some brood and for sure some of the workers (remember this is an established colony already so the queen will need help with the brood). The sheet, blanket, or tarp placed around or under will help you notice any ants or brood that have fallen while you were searching thru the wood nest beings they will be a dark color (Black or dark brown) and easily noticed on the white back ground.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

EthanRobinson

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:09 am

I'm don't feel it's ethical right to take a queen from a ant colony with workers, but I'm okay with finding them in their founding stage.

Gryon2011

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:24 am

Last year, Campos flew around April/May, and at night. They love lights, and overnight sprinkler systems. I caught 30+ one night at a Best Buy parking lot.

CherrieEvolved

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:23 pm

EthanRobinson wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:09 am
I'm don't feel it's ethical right to take a queen from a ant colony with workers, but I'm okay with finding them in their founding stage.
I agree with this. Ants are important, most die in the founding stage. If you take a queen from a thriving colony, thats messed up. But taking a queen walking on the streets that will probably die anyway before founding should be fine. At the very least you can help this queen found then let them go, help the native species out.

Dont be impatient, just wait for the flights and grab the queens trying to found.
Keeper of:
Formica Sp
Myrmica Sp

Founding:
4x Formica Sp
1x Camponotus Sp