RS - Brazil - Nuptial flight (Nov. 27)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

buckminsterfullest

RS - Brazil - Nuptial flight (Nov. 27)

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 am

Hey AC Family, what' up with you all?

I just would like to share with my fellow brazilian antkeepers living in Rio Grande do Sul, that this Monday morning (27/11) I watched a flight of dozens of harvester ant queens in the central area of ​​my city (Pelotas - RS). The ant nest was located in a large strip of grass in a building's façade, where the queens were climbing the walls and taking advantage of the gusts of wind to fly away.
I was impossible not no notice that something was going on, because a flock of Bem-te-vi (Pitangus sulphuratus) birds were trying to catch them (while also disturbing traffic).

While I was crossing the street, one queen managed to fly inside my hoodie and bit me in the neck.
At the moment I thought she had chosen me, so I gently placed her inside a plastic bottle.

Sure will keep you guys updated on her (I will try to post some photos later).

Cheers!

PS: If I manage to get a few other I am more than willing to send them through the GAN Project with you guys.
PS²: It would be awesome if other antkeepers in my region shared queen flight schedules and sightings here too.

Joaofdurao

Re: RS - Brazil - Nuptial flight (Nov. 27)

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Hey!!! I'm just a new enthusiastic in this hobbie, I was wondering if there are some brazilians that I could talk about this magnificent world... If you still keeping ants please contact me!! Thanks!

wllzsec

Re: RS - Brazil - Nuptial flight (Nov. 27)

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 pm

There was a flight of the harvester queen ants Atta spp. but here in Guarulhos/SP - Brazil was on the day 26/sep/2019 that day there was a lot of them... I didn't got any though, I thought they where too big, not I'm regreting a bit... but there's next year. and I found one, just one dead on the day 12/nov/2019.

Sorry for resuscitating such an old thread.