Ants in Idaho (USA)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

BloodVulcan

Ants in Idaho (USA)

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 am

So right now I have a successful camponotus colony and would like to start a second colony ( preferably prenelopis imparis if it's possible) but last nuptial flight season all I could find were camponotus ( 18 queens to be exact) and I would like to keep a new species. Does anyone know what ant species live in Idaho (USA) and when their nuptial flights are?

Thanks in advance! Ant Love Forever!
P.s. this is my first time using this forum so please correct me if I am doing anything wrong

Batspiderfish

Re: Ants in Idaho (USA)

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:48 am

I'm not sure how easy it will be to find Prenolepis imparis in Idaho. They may not be present. I am able to find them in Maine even though AntMaps hasn't.

http://antmaps.org/?mode=species&species=Prenolepis.imparis
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 pm

BloodVulcan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 am
So right now I have a successful camponotus colony and would like to start a second colony ( preferably prenelopis imparis if it's possible) but last nuptial flight season all I could find were camponotus ( 18 queens to be exact) and I would like to keep a new species. Does anyone know what ant species live in Idaho (USA) and when their nuptial flights are?

Thanks in advance! Ant Love Forever!
P.s. this is my first time using this forum so please correct me if I am doing anything wrong
Sweet! more Idaho people! Yeah I'm not sure prenelopis imparis is around here :( But lucky you! Camponotus would be cool! Where I live it's nothing but tetramorium galore and a few lasius thrown in :? :(
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Yea, just tetramorium for me too here, it seeems like it largely depends on where in Idaho you live. There seems to be a good variety of species even if they’re not dispersed geographically. I actually sell tetramorium sp. E on the GAN project so if you would like a newish colony I can help you out! I wish I could get a prenelopis imparis, they seem like just my kind of ant. Glad to see Idaho being represented in the ant world though! :D There are actually a lot of us out here.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Medakotasperry

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 am

Hey bloodvulcan! I live in Idaho to and I am trying to find my first queen! Any suggestions? What area are you in?

idahoantgirl

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am

Medakotasperry wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 am
Hey bloodvulcan! I live in Idaho to and I am trying to find my first queen! Any suggestions? What area are you in?
I'm not sure if bloodvulcan is still active, but I live in the boise Area. Like I mentioned before, right now the main species you are going to find are Tetramorium immigrans, although its getting kind of late for them to be flying. The next most common species of queens around here is Lasius Neoniger. They fly in september and don't lay eggs until spring. They are a great species as well as tetramorium. I also managed to catch tapinoma Sessile queen last month, which I've never seen before around here. Earlier in the spring you can occasionally find Camponotus. As far as tips go, just go on lots of walks and keep your eyes to the ground. always carry something to contain them in. Also, It would be great if you could come up with an excuse to go up to a place like Bogus Basin this summer. Last month they had Camponotus Pennsylvicannus flying.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Br00t4L17y

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:34 am

Since this is a pretty active thread of Idahoans, I figure one of you could help point me in the right direction.

I used to keep ants when I was younger, but never had a queen, so the colony was only ever a handful of worker ants that died eventually.
I told my wife before we got married that I would get her an "ant farm", and now we're coming up on our 5 year anniversary and I want to follow through with it :lol:. When she asked for one, I think she meant that she wanted one of those containers from Walmart w/ a handful of ants in it. I'd like to actually get her a stable colony that she can tend and admire for a long time.

I think that for her first ant colony, that she would be most happy with Tetramorium. We have a colony of Camponotus (ligniperda I believe), in the wood around our front yard, but I don't think she will enjoy that large of a species at this point. I anticipate that the nuptual flight for Tetramorium is nearly over, and have not seen any signs of a flight in my area. If anyone has a queen to spare/sell, or even a small colony, I would be happy to hear from you. I'm in the Boise area.

PS. I'm curious to know the classification of a red ant that I commonly see in the foothills around Boise, they build their nests in the sandy soil around the foot trails.

Thanks!

idahoantgirl

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:49 pm

I don't think there are currently any gan farmers in Boise. If you made an identification post with pictures, location and measurements we might be able to help you out with that ID tho

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Legolam

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 am

Hey guys I’m new to the thread. And new to ant keeping!! I live in Pocatello Idaho! 👋🏽 I caught two ant queens this year one a camponotus of some sort and the other I’m assuming a pavement ant! Actually my girlfriend caught and brought home the pavement ant!! (She slightly enjoys the hobby through me) but none the less she is excited to watch her colony come together. Anyways back to the matter I’m new and was wondering if you guys have any pointers for me? Or where you could send me to find info on both ants I’ve found to know more about care? I’d appreciate any help!! Thank you 🙏🏽

Cheeseburger

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:53 pm

Hey I was wondering if any of you know if we have myrmecocytus mexicanus in Idaho. From what I have researched it says we do but I can't find any mention of a city or specific area. I do live near a desert though and heard they like sage brush so I was thinking of checking there. What do you think?