captivity

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

madhayardan

captivity

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 am

how to make ant nuptial flight in captivity?

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Odds Are Near Impossible, Too Many Factors Are Needed For Ants To Attempt Nuptial Flight.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

madhayardan

Re: captivity

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 pm

maybe place it outside?

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:24 am

[Deleted By O. User]
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

jaspergeli

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:52 am

If they meet their requirements for a nuptial flight, nothing's impossible. You can do it. I support you, as well as breeding ants. I actually wanted to breed and let others breed different color morphs for each species of ant. You can do it.

PwnerPie

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:22 am

madhayardan wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 pm
maybe place it outside?
That would be the only way, so they can fly based on the local weather. A few factors, need to ensure it stays a steady heat, and make sure predators can't come in and wreak your colony. It will be difficult, but not impossible! I plan to give it a shot when my colonies get to that age as well! Good luck!
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

Hunter36o

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 am

I have an idea for this I think I may have mentioned here before. If you have two separate colonies of the same species or know someone who has the same species. Make a mating dome.
In theory the idea is simple. During the right time of year, when you know the following morning is going to be hot. Simulate a rainy day or night in your ant nest if possible, the following morning attach the two colonies to tubes that will enter this dome. Once both colony scents reach each others nest, this should trigger a mating frenzy that in theory should cause drones and future queen's to bolt for this dome. Now you will need to have an open point at the top for some of these ants to escape or you will become extremely overwhelmed.

I do not see this working correctly for Lasius ants or any other species that will not accept any more then a single queen per nest but I do feel this could be ideal for species such as Myrmica.

Just an idea I have not had a chance to play with yet.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.