Strange Nuptial Flights

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Aussie

Strange Nuptial Flights

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:21 am

G'day everyone

As you are probably aware it is the middle on winter in Australia and therefore ant activity is slower and there are absolutely no nuptial flights or queen sightings...

Or so there should be, today it was 25 Degrees Celsius where i live which is a tad on the warm side. (Usually about 20) it also has not rained for 2 weeks +. So I found it very strange when I witnessed a large nuptial flight on my driveway and had queens falling out the sky and scurrying about on the concrete. So as most ant keepers would do I caught 2, 1 with wings 1 without (both were found looking for somewhere to hide on the ground).

I believe the species is Iridomyrmex bicknell, I will also make a thread to document how these 2 queens go...

Cheers Nico

Aussie

Re: Strange Nuptial Flights

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 am

https://imgur.com/a/1ohhk

Pics of queens

MaxFernandes

Re: Strange Nuptial Flights

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:43 am

Wow that’s funny, I know I’m almost two years late to this conversation but the July of 2018 I caught about 3 or 4 iridomyrmex queens (all were fertile) which is odd considering it’s in the middle of winter 🤷‍♂️