Camponotus pennsylvanicus...

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Camponotus pennsylvanicus...

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 am

So yesterday around 11 a.m. I took my dog out to use the restroom and thought I seen a wasp on my porch. A rather big black one. As I got closer to inspect it I noticed it was a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen. Now I know in my state of Tennessee these girls flew in early to late April but mostly around early and mid April. Could somebody possibly shed some light on why I found a queen this late in the year? By the way she's an Alate...

( I really need to update my signature also. As I have many more species now and new workers for a lot that I have caught :-) )

Oh, just some input, we had rain the day before and the temperatures have been steady in the mid-80s and have had beautiful days. It just seems a little off to find a C. pennsylvanicus at the beginning of August LOL. I can also post pics if need verification :lol:
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus pennsylvanicus...

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 am

Camponotus fly in the mid summer too, and sometimes in the fall if the colony doesn't have enough food to keep the alates overwinter.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Ants500

Re: Camponotus pennsylvanicus...

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 am
Camponotus fly in the mid summer too, and sometimes in the fall if the colony doesn't have enough food to keep the alates overwinter.
This makes sense why Miley caught a bunch in his last video!
Founding:
-3 tetramorium queens
-1 Formica queen
-4 groups of acorn ant queens (they're polygenous)
Super excited to start this amazing hobby :D