Tetramorium Nova Scotia Canada. Did I miss it?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Canadant

Tetramorium Nova Scotia Canada. Did I miss it?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Hello, I,ve been out everyday since early June looking for tetramorium queens but to no avail. I have found several camponotus noveboracensis three of which i have in test tubes and already several eggs in Pupae stage. I actually just found a HUGE camponotus pennsylvanicus today (at least that's my uninformed guess). Sadly, her gastor was injured when I found her (Not by me). But she's doing okay.

But I really want to start a tetramorium colony. I just got my Omni-nest in the mail a few days a go. That was intended for a tetramorium colony and a hybrid for my camponotus. But i can't find any queens. Did I miss the nuptual flights? I wouldn't think so. Actually, in one of the AntsCanada videos Mikey is searching for tetramorium queens in Toronto in July. Perhaps
I need to keep checking but it's mid-July now.

Sincerely,

Canadant

Antsinohio

Re: Tetramorium Nova Scotia Canada. Did I miss it?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 am

Im in O vhio USA i have been finding tetramorium queens and alates flying. The nuptial flight schedules are the same in all of north america you are looking at the best time they have most of their nuptial flights in july

Cartil

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I am from Halifax, NS and I am looking for Camponotus! Could you point me to what kind of area you found yours? Do you think it would be too late to find some? This is my first colony so I essentially have zero experience finding queens, other than watching Mikey's videos!

jasont200

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:41 am

I'm in Ontario and they are flying right now it's 1:40am 8/01/2017 and they are on my windows at work.

Razeluxe

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Hey all! I'm also in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Do any of know which species I can look for and where?

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:07 pm

The Tetramorium are flying very late this year. I'm still seeing dealates in Maine. I hope we are not seeing the effects of climate change so soon.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MechanicalAnimal

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

I live in picton county and collect red and black campnotos on their flights 2 weeks ago. I managed to collect 3 but only one has laid eggs so far. I would like tetramorums but have yet to ever see queens. The heat wave a few weeks ago and humidity had camponotus out by the thousands. If I get a successful camponotos colony in a year or so then I may join the GAN project but that's contingent on the success of my queens. Camponotos according to mikey and a local anthropologist, take up to 3 years to acquire a colony of at least 50 workers. Due to their larger sizes. If I also get a tetra. Queen and it succeeds I will also be selling starter colonies but that won't be for a few years. But here is hoping.