Nevada Pogonomyrmex queen

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

PDelta41

Nevada Pogonomyrmex queen

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:06 pm

I just caught this lovely today
I suspect Pogonomyrmex occidentalis?, but she could be another species.

AceCadet

Re: Nevada Pogonomyrmex queen

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 am

Oh jealous. I want a Pogonomyrex queen. Where about Nevada did you happen to find it if you don't mind me asking.

PDelta41

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 am

I'm in Dayton, just east of Carson City. We got just a touch of rain Monday; we were out on a walk, I wanted to check on some Camponotus claustral chambers I'd tried to dig up a couple days earlier (they were too deep, and the soil too hard) (the tunnels had fresh dirt, so they're still there). I saw another tunnel going under a pebble, so I figured I'd just check it out. I flipped over the pebble, and out she ran. Panicked a bit since I didn't have my wallet and thus, debit card (my wife likes to joke about catching queens with money) to corral her into the test tube. Another pebble eventually did the trick, along with quite a bit of dirt and gravel.

PDelta41

Nevada Queens are flying!

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Dayton, Nevada, and queens are thick on the ground. I caught 1 Camponotus, 3 Tetramorium and 3 Pogonomyrmex.

I only had 4 test tubes, so I released the Tetramorium queens. I saw another one on the way home. I also saw another Camponotus queen that I didn't have a tube for.

PDelta41

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 am

AceCadet wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 am
Oh jealous. I want a Pogonomyrex queen. Where about Nevada did you happen to find it if you don't mind me asking.
Have you had any luck finding a Pogo queen? If not, I might be persuaded to part with one of mine.