Camponotus queens are flying in North America

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsManitobacanada

Camponotus queens are flying in North America

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:48 pm

I just caught a queen from out side. Go out and look right now just in case!!!!!

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus queens are flying in North America

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm preemptively sorry.

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:13 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:12 pm
I'm preemptively sorry.

I'm confused - what's the reference?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:50 am

The lyrics, and looking helplessly into the darkness, having not lost my determination.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Oh, that makes sense now. I find your humor is in more subtle contexts than most. :P
Keeper of

Selliing:

IntotheAM

Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:50 pm

I have been looking the last two days but have been unable to find one. Any suggestions on where to find them?

FYI- I live in the Bay Area of California.
Keeper of:

3 young tetramorium colonies (30 to 40 workers each)

Jadeninja9

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:30 pm

IntotheAM wrote:
I have been looking the last two days but have been unable to find one. Any suggestions on where to find them?

Same dude I've probably gone on 30 walks and found no queens. There's an invasive species in the Bay Area called the Argentine ant, which has displaced the entire ant population here. It sucks too cause the Argentine ants don't even have nuptial flights, they just mate inside the colony so you can't even catch them. It basically makes your chances of finding a queen less. Though I have seen a few Camponotus drones and maybe a Prenolepis drone, but no queens and I've been looking all year. I'm just gonna buy a queen off the GAN project.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Theantguy13

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:42 pm

I would also love some tips for finding Camponotus in more suburban areas. Also it isn't impossible to find argentine ant queens, you just need to catch them in the act of budding, which is how they reproduce, basically the queens go off with 10 or so workers from the host colony and start colonies like that. If you do catch a queen you need to catch workers as well, as they need help from their workers to feed.

Anyway I have also been on the hunt forCamponotus and have had no luck, only finding Solenopsis Xyloni and Pogonomyrmex Californicus queens. My ant bucket list this year consists of Camponotus and Tetramorium, as I want some larger species to keep.

Next year I plan to find a smaller species, any recommendations? I want a very small species, I was thinking maybe Brachymyrmex?
I know that Brachymyrmex Patagonicus are near me. Anyway thanks for the help in advance!

Saeyoung

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Just found three mated Camponotus queens in Peterborough Ontario, Canada!

AntOblivion

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 pm

IntotheAM wrote:

look in rotten logs