Looky what I caught in south texas!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntzNaTube

Looky what I caught in south texas!!

Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am

Caught 2 of these ladies this morning between san Antonio and corpus in soutj texas. Big storm yesterday, must have triggered a nuptial flight. There we're shed wings everywhere!

idahoantgirl

Re: Looky what I caught in south texas!!

Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 am

I think that is Atta Texana! Anyone agree? Ummm... also... its illegal to transport queens across state lines so.... Yeah I'm not sure what you can legally do here. If you legally have to kill her, then know that this is an extremely hard species to keep, and that they are fungus growers so it would be a lot more work to get a setup for them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntzNaTube

Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 am
Yeah I'm not sure what you can legally do here. If you legally have to kill her, then know that this is an extremely hard species to keep, and that they are fungus growers so it would be a lot more work to get a setup for them.
Yeah, I am aware of the law about transporting them. I didn't catch them for me, I have a friend back home in logansport who is holding one for me anyways when I head back that way. Figured I would catch them and donate them to a friend of my son's who moved down here recently. That's why I only caught 2. Cause there were many more to go around if one were so inclined lol.

Martialis

Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm

This looks like Atta to me.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Concurring With The Genus - Atta As Well
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

AntzNaTube

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 pm

The title was really just meant as a teaser. They are indeed atta texana. Here is a video of them getting comfortable in their new homes.

https://youtu.be/AXbqhnJsf7Q

The container is a small aquarium, the type used to house beta fish. The bottom was filled to about an inch or inch and a half with aquarium gravel to act as a water reservoir and sterilized dirt was then put on top 3/4 of the way full. A tube was put in place before the dirt to allow for filling the gravel reservoir without wetting the actual dirt and risking collapse of their chambers. There is a divider in the middle of the tank to make 2 desperate cells.

This entire setup will be given to a friend of my son's who recently moved to south texas. I just wanted to make them as comfortable as possible until I took them to him. Also, this will serve as a good test system for how I will keep my own queens when I go home.

The aquarium has a vented top that will eventually need modification to prevent escape and allow for connection to other chambers, but that modification will be rather simple and well within the boys scope.

If anyone knows of any better ways to set these ladies up for success please let me know, as I have already let the kid know I have them for him and would hate to have to inform him they expired due to my inexperience with them.

AntzNaTube

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Does anyone know how I could get in touch with the fan farmer Mikey talks about in the atta video? I would like to discuss his methods on the formicarium he made with hydrostone.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:07 pm

AntzNaTube wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:18 pm
Does anyone know how I could get in touch with the fan farmer Mikey talks about in the atta video? I would like to discuss his methods on the formicarium he made with hydrostone.
Do you mean Acromyrmex? I think you are talking about Drew, the operator of Formiculture. http://www.formiculture.com/topic/784-dspdrews-formicarium-08-research-and-design-updated-8-5-2016/?hl=research
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntzNaTube

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:59 pm

That's what I meant. Thanks! It's been a while since I watched the video.

ultraex2

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am

Are you sure that's a queen? It looks a lot like a male ant due to the head being so tiny and gaster is small as well.