Canada nuptial flight

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Dinofroz4

Canada nuptial flight

Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 pm

I live in Ontario canada
I want to know what weather is the best for catching queens

Saeyoung

Re: Canada nuptial flight

Fri May 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I also live in Ontario, near Peterborough, and I've caught a Lasius Umbratus Queen a few days ago.

Batspiderfish

Fri May 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Up here, Lasius umbratus only flies in the fall, although we can find dealates wandering around which have hibernated over the winter. Camponotus season is almost upon us.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Saeyoung

Sat May 20, 2017 1:37 pm

From what I understand about Camponotus, the best times to go looking for them are when the weather does not drop below 15 C at night and stays around 20-25C or higher during the day, the day after a rainstorm. They are predominantly nocturnal/crepuscular from what I've read, and I've seen videos of camponotus flying in the late afternoons in the States, and just before sun set in Canada. The best places to look for new Dealate Queens is under loser tree barks and in rotten or rotting logs. I've heard you can also find them wandering under the leaf litter in forests, under rocks, or hanging around pre-chopped log piles we use for our fireplace.

Of course I'm fairly new to ants myself, so there is a chance that anything I've said could possibly be wrong. Can someone with more experience confirm?

Saeyoung

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

If you are anywhere near Toronto, Camponotus Queens are everywhere outside right now!! I caught 18 Queens in less than an hour just walking along the parking lot curbs and side walks outside.

MaxGen

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 pm

What part of Toronto? I caught one in the Beaches yesterday, but I want some more...

Saeyoung

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:35 pm

I live in Peterborough, they're everywhere right now!