Solenopsis Nuptial Flights Alabama

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Re: Solenopsis Nuptial Flights Alabama

Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 pm
Lol, I k we I had read it somewhere. I really want a Solenopsis invicta queen. I have always been intrigued by fire ants. I have been stocking up on plenty of nesting and our world materials so I'm definately rest for their numbers. I have even started raising dubia roaches as well for their protein source. Hopefully after the rain stops Friday I'll get lucky over the weekend.
Do they have fire ants in Tennessee? I didn't know they went up that far...there are a plentiful of them down here. In fact I often complain that that is the queens I catch to often :lol: Fire ants, as cool as they are, are very hard sometimes. I have you ever been stung to see if you are allergic? If you are I would suggest not keeping them.

xTNxANTMANx

Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 pm
xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 pm
Lol, I k we I had read it somewhere. I really want a Solenopsis invicta queen. I have always been intrigued by fire ants. I have been stocking up on plenty of nesting and our world materials so I'm definately rest for their numbers. I have even started raising dubia roaches as well for their protein source. Hopefully after the rain stops Friday I'll get lucky over the weekend.
Do they have fire ants in Tennessee? I didn't know they went up that far...there are a plentiful of them down here. In fact I often complain that that is the queens I catch to often :lol: Fire ants, as cool as they are, are very hard sometimes. I have you ever been stung to see if you are allergic? If you are I would suggest not keeping them.
Yea, they are up here. Lol plenty of them. As a kid, I used to get crickets and stuff and get the Fire ants roughed up and feed them. Always enjoyed their aggressiveness :-). I have had my share of bites/stings from these pretty ladies as well. Though it doesn't feel good, I'm not allergic. If I were I def wouldn't even think of keeping them. :-) I appreciate your concern tho my friend.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Well I've seen a total of 4 nuptial flights so far on the Solenopsis here in Alabama, infact sunday I found a dead queen on the hood of my truck. :(
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

xTNxANTMANx

Mon May 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Maybe I'll get lucky and find one here in Tennessee soon. If not then maybe I can find one in the GAN.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2