Ants in Peterborough

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Saeyoung

Re: Ants in Peterborough

Wed May 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Yup! I don't plan on disturbing them anymore than I already have accidentally. Though I am going to walk over there during the afternoons/evenings to see if they're swarming. They may be a good indicator to help me find a mated Queen. I'm like 99% positive they're Camponotus noveboracensis, and they're only two blocks from my home.

I also found a second kind of Carpenter ant today, I believe it was Camponotus pennsylvanicus from the images I'm seeing on Google versus the worker I was handling to get a look at her, if not they're very similar. I found her on a living tree in the field behind my house, so I don't know where the nest is but I know they're around.

It was 28 Degrees here in Peterborough today with sunny weather all day and winds between 10-14 km/h so I was seeing a lot of ants today. I also got the first sunburn of the season today. Yay! :)
#TeamNativeAnts
Currently searching for: Camponotus noveboracensis, Tetramorium Sp.E., or Formica fusca

Captured/Keeper of:
Lasius umbratus
Prenolepis imparis

Saeyoung

Fri May 19, 2017 4:53 pm

I caught another Lasuis Queen today! So far I haven't been able to get a good photo of her as she's pretty skittish. Looks a lot like Lasuis Niger/Flavus. Found her under a rock out in the forest at around 5pm today. Weather was fine, 15-17C Humidity was 64% and winds were5-7km/h according to the weather forecast.
#TeamNativeAnts
Currently searching for: Camponotus noveboracensis, Tetramorium Sp.E., or Formica fusca

Captured/Keeper of:
Lasius umbratus
Prenolepis imparis

Saeyoung

Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I would like to correct my previous statement. I have a friend in the area who's big in to bugs and I saw him today. He told me that the Queen I caught the other day is actually Prenolepis imparis - The winter Ant / False Honey Pot Ant! Neat-O!
#TeamNativeAnts

Captured/Keeper of:
Lasius umbratus
Prenolepis imparis

Martialis

Sat May 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Sorry, but I'm not to sure. Prenolepisimparis flights are basically over and their queens look vastly different from Lasius.

P. imparis queen:

A Lasius umbratus queen, the other thing you think she may be:
Keeper of

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis

Tetramorium caespitum

Crematogaster sp.

Tapinoma sessile

Saeyoung

Sun May 21, 2017 3:26 am

Oh no sorry! I meant the second Queen from my post on May 19th. She's the Prenolepis imparis. I thought she was Lasius Neoniger when I found her but I didn't really get a good look at her before I put her in a nice dark place.
#TeamNativeAnts

Captured/Keeper of:
Lasius umbratus
Prenolepis imparis