Ants in Peterborough

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Saeyoung

Re: Ants in Peterborough

Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Rain and thunderstorms have been going on and off for the last week straight. Hoping when this clears out it'll be good for Queen Hunting finally. So excited.

AntsDaSilva

Tue May 02, 2017 3:08 pm

its too cold now to find queens buddy. but last month I found a lot prenolepis impairs queens.
if I see more i let you know. ;) ;)

Saeyoung

Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Dunno, it's been like 19-21 here in Peterborough for the last week and if I've learned one thing it's that the 7 day forecast is usually wrong. It's supposed to be rainy for the next few days but if it warms up after that it could be warn enough to go looking for Prenolepis Imparis again. From what I've read you can sometimes find them in May, rare but it has happened.

Unless what I've read is completely wrong, which I mean, it could be.

AntsDaSilva

Tue May 02, 2017 6:29 pm

yep buddy kkkkkkkkkk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saeyoung

Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm guessing that's a 'no'?

Saeyoung

Sat May 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Found a nest of odorous ants again today by accident.
It's May but I haven't seen hide nor hair of camponotus ants yet. Really hoping to come accross a Camp. Queen of my own. Been looking after rainfalls in wooded areas under rocks, under tree bark, under big sticks ect. I'm either doing something wrong or its not warm enough yet(likely) but I don't want to miss my chance. It is frustrating.

Saeyoung

Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Supposed to go up to 27-28 tomorrow and it's been misting on and off outside. Tomorrow seems like it might be a lucky day!

Saeyoung

Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 pm

While I was splitting fire wood today I found an ant that was much larger than the others in the area, so I captured her and I'm asking for help with her ID here:

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3268&p=21259#p21259

Saeyoung

Wed May 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks to Martialis and Batspiderfish I now know that on May 16th (The day after a rainstorm out in the bush) near Kawartha Lakes I found a Lasius umbratus social parasite Queen while splitting old logs for kindling. Now I'm doing a survey/sample of the ant nests in the area looking for L. alienus, L. neoniger, or L. pallitarsis brood and young workers to try to give her a host colony to start with.

Fun, fun, fun! I'm always learning with ants!

On another note while I was out today looking for any lasuis host colonies I put my foot down on an old rotten log to kick away the bark and the whole log collapsed inwards and I saw a lot of major camponotus workers and five alate Queens (Unmated of course). I accidentally disturbed their colony but I temporarily captured an alate queen just to examine and get a good look at her. She was almost 2 cm long and was just lovely to look at.

Her head and abdomen were black but her mesosoma/thorax was red. She was fairly calm for being in a pill bottle as well. I'm hoping that the presence of big female alates like that means a flight is coming soon! They are one of the three types of ants I'm 'very' interested in keeping; Camponotus! The Major workers looked almost exactly like this:

Martialis

Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Nice! Just remember to leave mature colonies alone to the best of your ability. ;)
Keeper of

Selliing: