Ants Flying At Night

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Ants Flying At Night

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 pm

So I live in South Florida and am currently looking for a 3rd queen of a species other than RIFA. I have posted a topic earlier this week but I wanted to ask this so that I can get clarification on it. I keep finding male ants in my dogs water. Nearly every morning. I don't see any queens at all. I look all around and under things. Nothing. So are these ants having their flights at like 3 a.m. and the queens already dug in by like by sunrise? And just because there are male ants in my dog's water, does that mean that queens are flying? Thanks!

Batspiderfish

Re: Ants Flying At Night

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 pm

There are a lot of ant species which like to have their nuptial flight very early in the morning or late in the evening.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks, but does it mean that the queens flew when there are males?

Batspiderfish

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

I really couldn't say. It's obvious that the males were flying, looking for queens, but it depends on whether a local colony was producing them. Usually there will be queens somewhere, whenever there are males.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.