Ant Nuptial Flights in Florida

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Ant Nuptial Flights in Florida

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Hello,

I needed some help finding some queens. So I have a RIFA colony. They are quite grown(500 or so workers) and doing well. I want a different species though. Most of the ants I find down here(southern most Florida) are RIFA and Sugar ants. I occasionally find some carpenters. I need some help on how to find queens, especially when 80% of the queens you find are fire ants, and what conditions are ideal in a tropical climate when it rains like once a week and nearly everyday in the summer. So if you guys could give me some pointers and tips for a tropical climate region with mostly Fire ants it would be really helpful. Also, I live in a suburban.

Thanks!

Martialis

Re: Ant Nuptial Flights in Florida

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 pm

In your area, ants will fly whenever. To avoid constant RIFA and sugar ants, go to a less developed area, with less regularly maintained and mowed areas.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntzNaTube

Re: Ant Nuptial Flights in Florida

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

The only real advice i can give, still being quite new myself, is pine trees.... If you want to find camponotus simply find some mature pine trees. I'm not sure what it is about the trees that attracts them, but if u can find the pines, camponotus are there somewhere.

With that being said, mature pines are getting harder and harder to find in my neck of the woods due to the booming population of pine beetles that destroy every pine in sight.