Question about where/when to look?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

warhawk373

Question about where/when to look?

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 pm

I have located 3-4 nice large nests and have been keeping track of them. Is this where I should look for their nuptial flight or will they fly somewhere else? I have noticed they have been widening their entrances a lot, I guess in preparation to allow the bigger males and queens out.

Is it going to be just a one day thing? Like are all the queens just going to come out and 24 hours later they will all be making their homes to start a new colony or will some come out one day then others another day?

Also, can males and queens of the same nest mate? I have a nest in my backyard of the species I want but there is only one nest, I have looked everywhere for another one. Will they mate or at least attract males from nests around the area or will I have to go to somewhere with multiple nests in a closer proximity?

One last question, what time of day should I look? The workers seem to be most active in the afternoon and at night, is this when the queens and males will be active or is it just random?

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Question about where/when to look?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:42 am

Batspiderfish and Martialis would be better to answer these questions then I but I do know that they won't make together if they're in the same colony. Also you will want to walk a little ways from the nest when they have their flight as if you are too close they could possibly be not mated yet. I also have a species close to my house that I want and can only find on nest. It's a camponotus species :-) I've been on a constant lookout myself but it doesn't help that I have to work a lot :-(.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Re: Question about where/when to look?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:18 am

It depends on the species. Most colonies will release alates for days or weeks during their mating season, while others will mate in a very short span of time. If you keep looking on warm, windless, relatively dry days after rain (depending on your climate, of course) you're bound to find something. In temperate regions, there aren't too many species flying just yet.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.